Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silli Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 07:00 AM
    My Dog won't sleep in its bed!
    We have just got ourselves a 2yr old golden retreaver. She is generally a well behaved well trained dog, who has taken to our children very well.

Our only problem is that she won't sleep in her bed. Even if we try and put her in it she cowers back and struggles away. Its almost as if she is scared of the thing.

We have known the dog from birth, and she used to sleep in a similar bed, and we have put her old bedding in the bed.

I know it seems a small problem, but I believe a dog should have its own bed. Somewhere it feels safe and knows its not going to be bothered by the kids, and so the kids know that she is resting and needs space. And so I can send her there when she is being too playfull or something. Sort of a boundaries thing.

Or is it not the problem I'm making it? It just seems right that a dog should have a bed.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Where do you have the bed? Our dog won't sleep in his if it is in the corner of our room. If I put it right next to my side of the bed - he will sleep there all night.

Your dog may feel like he is being left out and may miss something so he doesn't want to leave the "party". Have you tried to sit with him on his bed. Pet him and things like that? That may make him comfortable with it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 09:49 AM
    What happens if you just put the bedding in the spot? The bed could have some sort of ''new'' smell to it she doesn't like. Is it washable? Have you tried the bed in different places? Where does she choose for her naps? The bed just could be too warm now. Our dogs have a variety of beds to choose from, but quite often choose the hardwood floor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog sleeping in our bed? [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I let our dog sleep with us last week for 3 ngiths in a row. I don't know why we did but we did. We decided that this is probably not a good idea for many reasons (Hygene, Top Dog Status). So we decided to say No last night and he slept on the floor in our room like he usually does. At...

Tempur-pedic or sleep number bed? [ 18 Answers ]

Do you have one of these beds? Which is the better one, and is in necessary to buy the foundation? Do they really help with back pain? Tell me anything you can about either one. Thanks

9 mo suddenly will not sleep in his bed [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 9 mo old and 3 weeks ago he got an ear infection. Since then he will not go to sleep in his bed at night. His ears are all better and he still want sleep. I've tried giving him Bendryl and he cried last night for an hour and half. The doctor says he is stubborn and wished me good...

How Do I Put My 3 Year Old to Sleep When its Bed Time? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , I am Having Problems With My Three Year Old Daugter. She has always had Problems Sleeping... Which She Does Not Like To Sleep! But Since My twins were Born its Gotten Worse Then EVER!! I am trying to Break the Bad Habit , So my Twins won't fall in the same Trap! Please Help!! ...

Should l have my pup sleep in my bed? [ 4 Answers ]

Would we get more sleep if we allowed our pup to sleep in our bedroom? Im not sure which way we should go with this stick it out and let her keep sleeping in her crate in a separate room but then we wake up at 5:30am, or have her in our bedroom but keep her in her crate or just let her sleep with...

View more questions Search