Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cinleej Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 03:45 AM
    Credit card judgement
    I recently received a summons to appear in the magistrate office about a credit card for Capitol One that I quit paying on when I divorced my husband 4 years ago. I live in Pennsylvania and I thought the SOL was 4 years. The papers state date of accountMay 12, 2003 and they filed for a judgement hearing on June 4, 2007. Is this past the time they are allowed to file? Also I am having a very hard time trying to make ends meet now. I had to move in with my son after my divorce because I don't make enough money to live on my own. The only thing I own is my car which I still have a loan on for 4 more years. What can they do to me and what are my rights?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Hello cin:

The SOL has probably not expired so you're going to owe the money. After 4 years, however, you should be able to make some sort of deal with them. I know you don't have money, but if they get a judgment, it's going to be for a lot more than they're asking for now and they can go directly to your bank account or your paymaster and get it.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2007, 05:49 AM
    According to this site:
    Pennsylvania Statute of Limitations
    The SOL on contracts "Written and under seal, 20 years. Otherwise, 4 years."

However, I don't know what written and under seal refers to. Bottomline, if they are filing suit, they probably feel that the SOL hasn't expired.

If they can prove the debt (and you admit to it so they probably can), then will win a judgement. So I agree with excon, that you are better off trying to negotiate a settlement.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2007, 06:17 AM
    WRITTEN UNDER SEAL DEFINITION

Related Topics
    Recording of land titles

Deed (dēd)
    n.
    Something that is carried out; an act or action.
    A usually praiseworthy act; a feat or exploit.
    Action or performance in general: Deeds, not words, matter most.
    Law. A document sealed as an instrument of bond, contract, or conveyance, especially relating to property.
    Tr.v. deed·ed, deed·ing, deeds.
    To transfer by means of a deed: deeded the property to the children.
    Tootruetooblue Posts: 61, Reputation: 17

Jun 13, 2007, 12:00 PM
    I would call and advise the other party to the action of your circumstances, and the fact you thought your ex-husband had taken responsibility for the bill. Explain you would like to avoid court but that you are having a tough time financially and offer a small monthly payment toward the debt (can you swing $25 a month?) Ask if they are willing to remove interest and late fees and permit you to just pay their court filing fee and the principal on the debt. This could substantially reduce the amount.

Then pay them on time every month.

Separately, try to negotiate something with your ex-husband to pay you back or at least to pay half of the debt.

If this debt was assigned to him in your divorce decree, you can go back and get a court order for him to pay the debt or reimburse you for it. The creditor does not have to honor the decree - they can go after either or both of you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a judgement by a credit card [ 5 Answers ]

What does it mean when a credit card company has a judgement against you?

Credit card judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I recently received a notice of a hearing scheduled to place judgement on me for a credit card debt of one thousand dollars. My husband lost his job 2 years ago and I was trying to support my whole family on a small income so my credit card payments got put aside in order to put food on the table...

Judgement on credit card [ 3 Answers ]

If a judgement is placed against you for credit card debt how long does is last? Also can the law firm representing the credit card company(discover) take any personal property.. such as automobiles that are owned or your home The credit card is approx 6,000; and I don't have any means to pay or...

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a credit card judgement against him. The company attempted to garnish his checking account - which has no money in it. He has attempted to contact them for 2 weeks to make payment arrangements. No one is returning his calls. What can he do next? Also can a credit card company...

Credit card judgement [ 20 Answers ]

I have a few judgements against me from past due credit cards and I am trying to sell my house In NY and make a fresh start. I have every intention of paying these judgements after I get settled in my new area. I am concered that the judgements may bite me in the... when it comes time to close on...

View more questions Search