Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Debbc52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2005, 12:23 PM
    What breed is our puppy?
    Pet store sold us a "poodle" -- but our Vet and groomer say he is not a poodle; perhaps a Havanese or a mix. Breeder and store owner will not admit an error, and breeder refuses to provide photos of dam and sire. There must be an expert who can identify the breed of this puppy.. . Help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2005, 01:23 PM
    I really can't help, and don't where to send you for help. I am active on several sites, but know of none with the number of good, active people it might take. If you posted a picture at one of the image hosting sites*, somebody who had seen many examples of whatever cross it is, might be able to say. Cross breeds can be difficult to identify. It is obvious my Lab/Golden cross' Sheba, coat is not right for a Lab, but most of the Lab/Golden crosses I have seen look much more like a Lab than she does. Another complicating factor is the possibility of a female mating with more than one male and bearing a litter with more than one father. Your puppy's mother may have been a Poodle, and was mated with another Poodle. If later, she was allowed to mate with another unknown dog, it could be your puppy's father rather than the Poodle.

DNA is the only sure way to prove the breed of your puppy. I do not know where to send you for a reasonably priced test. Perhaps go to www.akc.org and check the banner ads.

*I use http://www.photolocker.net/.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ready to breed [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old dachshund dotson dog, we have recently found someone who has a female dotson,they want to breed her with my dog. Here's my question,how often does a female dotson go into heat,and aproxmicly when? With me having a male I have no idea. Also they don't want to give us the pick...

Pointer breed [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted a pointer from the humane society about 6 weeks ago. I want to know if anyone knows of a website for pointers. I want to know about them.

The decision to breed! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just have a few questions which maybe someone can help me with. I've trawled the web for hours and just seem to go in circles! 1) What is the average size of a litter? 2) Is it safer to breed a medium/large size dog? (I have a bitch rough collie) 3) What is the best age for a bitch...

How old to breed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female daschund 5 1/2 month old how old does she has to be before she could start breeding?

Cross Breed Dog [ 0 Answers ]

Inbreeding brings out recessive traits. Closely related dogs are more likely to have the same recessive problems. I have heard of deliberately breeding siblings to see if there are problems. If that doesn't produce problems, then likely there won't be problems breeding to other dogs. So the...

View more questions Search