Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson
    Because we are forgiven, we feel grateful and try to please the Lord by living by His higher standard, the Law. And the cycle continues.
    I'm sorry, but I haven't seen anything yet that explains how abstaining from pork and catfish is part of "His higher standard." You've already been shown a number of scriptures - that have nothing to do with Peter's vision - that tell us it doesn't matter. Here are even more from 1 Corinthians 10:

23 "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive.

24 Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience,

26 for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."

27 If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience.

28 But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake--

29 the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?

30 If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
    It DOESN'T matter. If you wish to refrain from eating pork and catfish then I'm cool with that, but there is NOTHING inherently sinful about eating such things. "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it," and I thank God for pork and catfish - especially battered and fried.
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Jun 13, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Hello,

The collective designation for the ordinary pig (Sus domestica); a medium-sized, cloven-hoofed, short-legged mammal having a thick-skinned, stocky body usually covered with coarse bristles. The pig’s snout is blunt, and its neck and tail are short. Not being a could chewer, the pig was ruled unacceptable for food or sacrifice by the terms of the Mosaic Law.Le 11:7; De 14:8.
    While God’s ban on eating pork was not necessarily based on health considerations, there were and still are hazards connected with the use of this meat for food. Since pigs are indiscriminate in their feeding habits, even eating carrion and offal, they tend to be infested with various parasitic organisms, including those responsible for diseases such as trichinosis and ascariasis.
    The Israelites generally seem to have viewed swine as especially loathsome. The ultimate degree in disgusting worship is conveyed by the words: “The one offering up a gift,the blood of a pig!” Isa 66:3 To the Israelites, few things could have been more inappropriate than a pig with a gold nose ring in its snout. And it is to this that Proverbs 11:22 compares an outwardly beautiful woman who is not sensible.
    Although apostate Israelites ate pork Isa 65:4; 66:17, the Apocryphal books of First Maccabees 1:65, Dy; and Second Maccabees 6:18, 19; 7:1, 2, Dy; show that during the foreign domination of Palestine by the Syrian king Antiochus IV Epiphanies and his vicious campaign to stamp out the worship of God Almighty, there were many Jews who refused to eat the flesh of swine, preferring to die for violating the decree of the king rather than to violate the law of God.
    Some other nations did not eat pork, to the Greeks it was a delicacy. Likely as a result of Hellenistic influence, by the time of Jesus Christ’s earthly ministry, there were apparently quite a number of pigs in Palestine, particularly in the Decapolis region. In the country of the Gadarenes there was at least one herd of about 2,000 pigs. When Jesus permitted the demons that he had expelled to enter this large herd, every last one of the animals rushed over a precipice and drowned in the sea.Mt 8:28-32; Mr 5:11-13.
    The apostle Peter compared Christians who revert to their former course of life to a sow that returns to its wallow after having been washed. 2Pe 2:22 However, it is evident that, as relates to the pig, this illustration is not intended to apply beyond the surface appearance of things. Actually, the pig, under natural conditions, is no dirtier than other animals, although it indulges in wallowing in the mud from time to time in order to cool off in the heat of the summer and to remove external parasites from its hide.
    In conclusion, what God tells us to eat, who are we to say it is dirty and unclean to eat. God gave Noah permission to eat the animals. We are also under the Law of Christ, not the Mosaic law and therefore able to eat pork. Like all other animal products we must though keep in mind the standards of healthy preparing of meats and proper storage. If we do then pork is food given to us by God.

Take care,
    Hope12
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope12
    Hello,

The collective designation for the ordinary pig (Sus domestica); a medium-sized, cloven-hoofed, short-legged mammal having a thick-skinned, stocky body usually covered with coarse bristles. The pig’s snout is blunt, and its neck and tail are short.
    Hope, thanks for telling us all what a pig is via an Insight article :rolleyes:

I do agree though, ain't nothing wrong with eating pork.
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 13, 2007, 07:07 PM
    23 "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive.

24 Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience,

26 for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."

27 If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience.

28 But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake--

29 the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?

30 If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
    "Everything is permissible." Everything is permissible? Everything? Anything that a person desires is permissible? Or are there qualifications associated with that statement. Shooting heroin certainly isn't permissible or am I wrong?

"Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others." How can I seek the good of others if I am strapped to a hospital bed due to a heroin overdose or from food poisoning? I have to take care of my body, the temple of God, if I am to be any good to my family, coworkers, friends, etc.

"Eat anything sold in the meat market..." If it was understood by the society of that time that pork was an unclean meat, then it would not have been in the meat market. Remember that most of the people of that time were NOT Christians yet. The prevailing religion was Judaism which forbade pork. Pork was not even to be near other foods let alone be sold or eaten.

"The earth is the Lord's and everything in it." No argument with that. But I will say that nightshade, oleander, and other poisonous herbs are a part of God's creation but certainly not for the dinner table.

If someone put monkey brains before you at their dinner table, would you eat them? Maybe you would but my conscience wouldn't let me.

Would you have partaken of Jim Jones last supper giving all glory to God?

Clearly, the verses you quoted have a deeper meaning that you give them credit for. In fact, if you read the entire 10th chapter of I Corinthians from verse 1 to 33, you will see that Paul is not simply giving a clean bill of health for all that man stuffs down his gullet. There is a spiritual discussion taking place having to do with eating food sacrificed to God or devils (among other things).
    change Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Jun 13, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kepi
    Is it true it is a sin to eat pork?
    I never thought it was a sin.. maby wasting it.. its good food. Although a lot of religions think so!! And that's fine with me because it leaves more for me. I can't Wait to sleep in my pig skin duffel bag tonight... no its not a sin dig in to that nice big pork chop
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 16, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by change
    i never thought it was a sin..maby wasting it.. its good food. although alot of religions think so!!! and that's fine with me because it leaves more for me. i can't Wait to sleep in my pig skin duffel bag tonite......no its not a sin dig in to that nice big pork chop
    Nothing like a plate full of crispy parasites with a little pork meat for flavor. It's really good with a side of maggot salad topped with dog vomit dressing... mmmmm mmmmm goooood.
    cassini Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2007, 09:46 PM
    In islam this is banned. Because pork is a dirty animal. What is the food of pork, that is the reason.
    calover16m Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Jun 25, 2007, 01:42 AM
    If you are a christian then it is OK to eat pork and other meat. At one point in The Bible it says something about how God created the animals so that man could eat them.
    Cynaka Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2007, 11:28 AM
    I have made the choice to not eat pork or any other foods considered to be unclean in the bible. This is a personal choice. While I support eating "clean" foods, I do not condemn those who choose not to. Do I think it's a sin to eat pork? No. Even if it was a sin, God gave His son for us so that we could be forgiven of any sin we make. Not only that, but I don't believe that actions and deeds do not make or break our salvation alone. It is only by our complete devotion and belief in Christ and God that ensures eternal life. Actions and deeds come after.
    Cynaka Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2007, 11:35 AM
    As I read through the answers and rebuttals given, I am absolutely in shock! Each person is entitled to their opinions. People accusing others of 'twisting' God's word isn't conducive. We all have our own intepretations of the Word of God and I don't think any are wrong. The whole point of CHristianity is LOVE. This isn't a good way to show that love that we are supposed to emulate. So here's a healing hug to all. *HUG*
    Bubbler Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

Jun 26, 2007, 02:37 PM
    The Jews and Christians are also forbidden from eating pork. Here is a quote from the Old Testament to that effect: "And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase."
    Deuteronomy 14:8

Christians believe that this verse was directed only at the Jews. But Jesus himself says during the Sermon on the Mount; "Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."

Another view is that some Christians say that, after a vision by Peter, God cleansed all animals and made them fit and lawful for human consumption. If ALL animals are cleansed by Peter's vision, this includes dogs, cats, vultures, and rats: but you just don't see people getting excited about a cat-meat sandwich like they do over barbecued pork or bacon. I have also read a book some time ago that said something along the lines of if you Live by the Rules of the old Testament you must live by all the Laws not just the one's you pick as your choice, and if you follow the teaching of the way of Grace, you must live by those rules.
    Bubbler Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

Jun 26, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Please not this is not my writing below its something I found on the internet but makes for good reading --> :p

Bad effects of pork consumption

Pig's bodies contain many toxins, worms and latent diseases. Although some of these infestations are harbored in other animals, modern veterinarians say that pigs are far more predisposed to these illnesses than other animals. This could be because pigs like to scavenge and will eat any kind of food, including dead insects, worms, rotting carcasses, excreta (including their own), garbage, and other pigs.

Influenza (flu) is one of the most famous illnesses which pigs share with humans. This illness is harbored in the lungs of pigs during the summer months and tends to affect pigs and humans in the cooler months. Sausage contains bits of pigs' lungs, so those who eat pork sausage tend to suffer more during epidemics of influenza. Pig meat contains excessive quantities of histamine and imidazole compounds, which can lead to itching and inflammation; growth hormone, which promotes inflammation and growth; sulphur-containing mesenchymal mucus, which leads to swelling and deposits of mucus in tendons and cartilage, resulting in arthritis, rheumatism, etc.

Sulfur helps cause firm human tendons and ligaments to be replaced by the pig's soft mesenchymal tissues, and degeneration of human cartilage. Eating pork can also lead to gallstones and obesity, probably due to its high cholesterol and saturated fat content. The pig is the main carrier of the taenia solium worm, which is found it its flesh. These tapeworms are found in human intestines with greater frequency in nations where pigs are eaten. This type of tapeworm can pass through the intestines and affect many other organs, and is incurable once it reaches beyond a certain stage. One in six people in the US and Canada has trichinosis from eating trichina worms which are found in pork. Many people have no symptoms to warn them of this, and when they do, they resemble symptoms of many other illnesses. These worms are not noticed during meat inspections, nor are they killed by salting or smoking. Few people cook the meat long enough to kill the trichinae. The rat (another scavenger) also harbors this disease. There are dozens of other worms, germs, diseases and bacteria which are commonly found in pigs, many of which are specific to the pig, or found in greater frequency in pigs.

Pigs are biologically similar to humans, and their meat is said to taste similar to human flesh. Pigs have been used for dissection in biology labs due to the similarity between their organs and human organs. People with insulin-dependent diabetes usually inject themselves with pig insulin.
    Lolitah_xx Posts: 104, Reputation: 5

Jul 10, 2007, 03:51 PM
    It depends on your religion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tattoos (sin?) [ 150 Answers ]

The question for me personally. I would like to know everybodies opinion, thoughts and even biblical response to this question. Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it? I have thought...

Original Sin [ 13 Answers ]

I am curious if anyone might have a theroy on Original Sin? There has been so much speculation over hundreds of years and I would like to hear what you think. Thanks:confused:

Pork Roast [ 2 Answers ]

I am making Pancetta Wrapped Pork tenderloin Roast, my question is the roast covered when in the oven? It just says place in oven at 400 degrees and roast 1 hour or until the therometer reads 145 degrees.

Pork chops [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have any good recipes for boneless center cut pork chops?

Living in sin [ 42 Answers ]

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly... This is a relationship question, but I chose to discuss this with other christians. I am in a relationship with the father of my 2 year old son. We are not married yet, and we live together. I have always known the Lord, but...

View more questions Search