Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trngdesign Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Independent contractor relocating for a temporary assignment
    I work as an independent contractor (self-employed) and have been invited to enter into an 11 month contract that would require that I temporarily relocate to another state - not commuting distance. I would still maintain my primary residence, but wondered if I can deduct the cost of my lodging expenses while participating in my temporary assignment if it is not reimbursed by my client? What are the requirements or pitfalls. Thanks! BR
    sbk100 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 11:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trngdesign
    I work as an independent contractor (self-employed) and have been invited to enter into an 11 month contract that would require that I temporarily relocate to another state - not commuting distance. I would still maintain my primary residence, but wondered if I can deduct the cost of my lodging expenses while participating in my temporary assignment if it is not reimbursed by my client? What are the requirements or pitfalls. Thanks! BR
    Guess this depends on the country you are living in. BTW which country are you from?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 12:02 AM
    I am not a tax expert. But, I am entirely self-employed. I would think that you could deduct your lodging expenses under the conditions that you have provided above, if you live in the U.S.

If I were on temporary assignment for that length of time, I would be passing on at least some of the expense of my lodging to the customer. But, I could see not including the expense of lodging to a customer as a way to sell the job to them.

Maybe someone will come along who has a more informed answer, though
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 13, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Yes, you CAN claim the temporary living expenses.

You can claim the actual expenses (which must be documented), or you can claim the per diem rates as specified in IRS Pub 1542, which require NO documentation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I will be an taking on an independent contractor position with an at-home call center company. This will be a part-time job. I have never been an independent contractor before and want to make sure I don't get myself in trouble or receive a big tax bill. Do I need to let the IRS...

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Fall 2006,I found a great job through a staffing agency. The job is Office Manager with a very small service firm. After 2 weeks the company "bought" me from the agency for several thousand dollars. To meet their budget needs, they offered to bring me to their staff as an independent contractor...

Independent Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

I am about to begin working online as an independent contractor. I understand that I will receive a 1099 MISC form at the end of the year. That's about all I understand. I live in Arkansas, and I was wondering... what percentage of what I make do I need to put up for taxes? And what if I would...

Independent Contractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I took on this part time job since last May and immediately they started paying me via Western Union and also Pay Pal. Never once did they ever discuss they'd be reporting wages, I always believed it was "under the table" money. They never had sign a W-9 or an independent Contractor form,...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

View more questions Search