Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    screwedup Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Theft of about $5000 - Canada
    This is my first offence. I have been caught doing refunds for cash and gift cards at Sears. The amount as of right now is around $4000. I was wondering what type of punishment I might receive. I know I screwed up so there's no need to call me stupid as I already feel that way. This is my first offence and I've already been told to contact Legal Aid. I just need to know what punishments I may receive.

Jun 11, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Also, what type of punishment would I receive if the amount ends up totalling over $5000? I'm 19 years old.
    sky_is_grey Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2007, 08:46 PM
    Don't worry too much bud, because it is a first offense, if it is under $5000, you'll likely receive 2 or 3 years probation and restitution (payback) of a certain percentage. If the total is over $5000, it will likely be up to the judge that day. I assume you've been given a court date.

There is another option for you, a legal aid lawyer will be able to make an appointment for you with "Adult Diversion" This is a program that will allow you to repay the amount without going to court and also without having any criminal record. They are usually pretty understanding, but you'll have to make an arrangement to repay in 12 months or less.

Jun 12, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Thanks for the reply. How does this "Adult Diversion" program work? And what are the chances of jail time for this. I've been told it's very unlikely because it is a first offence, regardless of how much but I just wanted to clarify if this is true or not because it's one of my main concerns. I hope what you say is true because I've never felt so bad before. I know what I did is wrong and I regret doing it and it seems as if I'm suffering from depression. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2007, 05:52 AM
    While this may be your first offense, this is not a case of impulse shoplifting like many in this category. You planned and systematically committed these thefts over time. I doubt if you would be granted diversion for this type of crime. I would IMMEDIATELY get a good attorney to represent you.

You stand a fair chance of not going to jail, though it depends on how vigorously Sears pursues it. I think you will get a longer probation period and need to make FULL restitution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Over 5000 Case Law - Canada [ 15 Answers ]

Have been charged with this offence in Nova Scotia Actual amount being charged with amounts to 116000 Plan to go to court with a plea of guilty Criminal Code seems to indicate sentencing to be 2-10yrs imprisonment Have had several people tell me that actual sentencing (Case Law) has been less...

Theft under $ 5000.00 Canada [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was at a grocery store with my two children. I went into the make up section and I needed 2 lipsticks and a lipliner. I chose which items I wanted and as I was pushing the cart around with my two kids, I wanted to put the lipsticks down but thought to myself if I do they will fall through the...

Theft under $5000-Canada [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I was caught for stealing at walmart. They brought me into the back room and did a police chack. Since it wamy first offense, I was pardoned. They didn't issue me a court date or anything, does this mean I don't have to go to court?. Do pardons show up on your record? I am currenlty looking...

Theft under 5000-canada [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for the help. However, if they were going to press charges, wouldn't they have done it right away when the theft occurred?. Why do it at a later date?. If theyare going to press charges how long do they usually wait?. and how does this occur?. letter in the mail?

Theft over $5000 in Canada [ 11 Answers ]

In May 2006, I had a merging of accounts at my bank. This deposited about $27,000 into my checking account. I called the bank and the call centre to get this straigtened out and no matter what, they insisted it was mine since all of my information was correct. I paid off a few bills and spent some...

View more questions Search