Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GrahamC Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2007, 04:06 AM
    Property company & Debt agency conning us!
    Hello all,

I was wondering if you could offer some advice.

Myself and my girlfriend live together in our flat, which she owns. The property is managed (building maintenance) by a company called CPM; we have to pay a yearly maintenance charge of £1300 for services this company provides, i.e. window cleaning, hoovering the stairs, looking after communal areas etc…

We have always been up to date with all payments, bills etc… earlier this year (March / April) when we received a notice that this years charge was due to be paid, my girlfriend paid for 3 months and then setup a standing order to pay the remaining value on a monthly basis. We received a letter over the weekend from a debt collection agency stating that they had received a formal request to recover the sum of £703 plus £140 charges for their services. The letter also stated that CPM had made numerous requests for payment and also sent numerous reminders. We had received no reminders, no formal request and no contact from CPM regarding this at all.

My girlfriend has phoned the CPM management company today and paid the outstanding £703 for the maintenance, we have done this to avoid any further problems form CPM. However we don’t believe that we should pay the additional £140 to the debt company for their “services” since we had no notice that anything was outstanding.

She also advised CPM that we had received no reminders and no notice the standing order had not gone through and asked why CPM had not sent out any reminders or tried to contact her, she also asked why it had been passed over to a debt company, to which they replied “it had just been referred”. They also advised that we would need to write a formal letter to the debt collection agency, explaining why we would not be paying them £140, then the agency can contact the management company.

On this letter it also mentioned that they would contact our mortgage lender to inform them that we had missed a payment for this maintenance charge. What does this have to do with our mortgage? We have never missed a mortgage payment.

Do we have to pay this £140 charge? What if we refuse to pay the £140 charge? Can they take us to court?

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Graham
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jun 11, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Why did your girlfriend never notice that the automatic deductions were NOT being deducted?

I would ask for copies of any correspondence from CPM. And If they can't produce it then THEY should send the letter to the debt collection agency explaining that they (CPM) had assigned the case without full justification. CPM should pay any required agency fees.

But, this will probably never happen, and your girlfriend's credit will reflect this negative fact.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 11, 2007, 12:50 PM
    The reason the mortgage company should be notified is that there is a possibility of a lien placed on the unit. But that's down the line. I would send a letter to the debt agency, with a copy of the receipt for the payment, informing them that your account is up to date and to cease all collection efforts. Then see what happens from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency - Over 2 years old debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My parents received a call from a Collection Agency regarding ME They took the info and I called them Apparently over 2 years ago I had an outstanding bill with Bell Canada I asked the Collection Agency to tell me what was on the Bill They stated they only had a dollar amount and no...

Collection agency collecting an old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I filed bankruptcy 3 yrs ago and paid on it until we had some hard times and it ended up getting dismissed. I was able to get a loan through a family member and paid off most of the debts that were owed. I called one of the collection companies to settle a debt and they told me they had no record...

Settling debt with a Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for your reply. I agree that getting a loan isn't a good idea but for some reason they just did not understand that. I made this debt for myself and intend to pay it but they also don't understand that I can't afford the monthly payment they are asking for and told them I would send...

Settling debt with a Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the thing. I've only been working for 1 year after not having a job for almost 2 years. Obviously I wasn't able to make the monthly payments on my credit cards. I told the girl that on what I make a week, I could not possibly pay the 200-300 dollars a month that the creditor wanted. They...

Agency purchased old debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have received a letter today from a company stating that they have bought a debt from a leading high street bank. The debt is approximately 7yrs old, I have had no correspondence in this time regarding this debt, the company are stating that the outstanding balance is £767.27 the original debt...

View more questions Search