Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    computerpersonlv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 03:39 AM
    Bad clusters and bad blocks
    When I do the chkdsk on WDC and it says windows replaced the bad clusters

Why does Stellar Smart say there's 3 bad blocks?

Didn't chkdsk clear it?

The PC says no bad sectors
    laffingravy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by computerpersonlv
    when i do the chkdsk on WDC and it says windows replaced the bad clusters

why does Stellar Smart say theres 3 bad blocks?

didnt chkdsk clear it?

The pc says no bad sectors
    When windows says it has replaced the bad sectors, it may have either marked them as an area on the hard disk platter where the head will not attempt to read or write to them, or in some cases, some hard drives actually reserve a few sectors to be used as replacements. StellarSmart uses a system that is based on Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T). More or less, it indicates an upcoming event, not an actual error... yet. CHKDSK is probably not registering the repaired or replaced blocks because it has "repaired" them by simply deadening that small area of the disk platter. Stellar Smart is more advanced and therefore is indicating that "something" has changed on your disk platter. Unless you develop more bad sectors, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Unable to read hard drive due to bad clusters [ 5 Answers ]

I have a data only drive (no OS) that has developed bad cluster section. Due to this, windows xp cannot see the drive although it is seen in BIOS. Due to this problem, I am unable to back the drive up to save my data, anyone know a way of getting at the data before I re-format the drive. Have...

Bad clusters again [ 3 Answers ]

My 80 gb hd is a new one. It has 4 drives, each one with 20 gb each. One day while scan disk there were bad clusters in drive c: . I removed the partition of c: drive and formatted that drive. Few days after formatting, bad clusters were again found in drive c: . Now what should I do.. shall...

Hard Disk - Bad Clusters [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All I was getting physical problem in my hard disk C: drive, on scanning I got 11 bad clusters , also it was mentioned that from now onwards these bad clusters will not be used for data storage . Now I want to upgrade to WIN XP from 98 , so please tell me what should I do for that, and...

C: drive has bad clusters [ 5 Answers ]

:) Hi,. How you doing? I have a C: Drive with bad clusters on it and I was wondering,. is there any way possible for me to fix it? I just wanted to know before I just throw it out. Thanks ~YEONEZ~

View more questions Search