Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phebe Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Changing back to Xp from Vista
    Hello, I am new here and need some help. My problem is:
    After building a new system with Vista as the operating system, I thought I would put Vista on my old system which is a HP Pavilion with Xp on board and recovery discs only.
    This is how I found out that OEM means one operating system only :eek:
    So, when I try to recover my old system I cant, no matter what I try it won't recover back to XP. I phoned tech support at HP and they said to use the recovery discs, NO that doesn't work. I tried installing a new operating system 98 and XP --neither works, I still get the same message, I have limited use I need to buy another key. In safe mode the only operating system found is Vista.

So, any ideas anyone :

phebe:)
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jun 11, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Assuming you went out and purchased a new version of Vista for your HP there's no reason why it should not have worked. I don't ever recommend that people purchase an "Upgrade" to a Windows OS... always, always, always buy a full version and reinstall. It's initially a tremendous pain (and more expensive) but you wind up with a clean OS instead of a bunch of left-over drivers from the previous OS conflicting with the new OS.
    I digress...
    When you put the XP recovery discs in can you boot from them? (You may need to change the order of the boot devices in your BIOS) If you can boot from them you will probably need to re-format your hard disc and re-install the operating system from scratch.
    (Delete the primary partition, create a new one and format it)
    Obviously make sure you have any data you want to save backed up because you will lose everything.
    If you can boot from the XP recovery CD's you might be able to re-install windows w/o formatting but you might very well have problems due to left over Vista files.

Jun 11, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Hi jstrike and thanks for your response.
    Yes Vista was a new full version purchased for my new PC but loaded onto my old HP. So once activated on my new PC the old HP stopped working.
    Trying to go back to xp on the Old hp using the recovery discs is the problem. I can't boot them at all. All I get is a limited access window with a buy a new key. I went into boot mode, and the only operating system it says is loaded is vista. HP tech support tell me the HP should recover using the discs but it won't. I tried installing a new not activated full version of Xp and it won't detect that either. Won't do anything ! Very annoying.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 11, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Simple really.
    Make yourself a Win98 boot disc.
    Boot to it and FULLY format your drive.
    Then you'll be able to use your recovery discs and reinstall XP.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jun 11, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phebe
    Hi jstrike and thanks for your response.
    yes Vista was a new full version purchased for my new PC but loaded onto my old HP. so once activated on my new pc the old HP stopped working.
    Trying to go back to xp on the Old hp using the recovery discs is the problem. I can't boot them at all. All I get is a limited access window with a buy a new key. I went into boot mode, and the only operating system it says is loaded is vista. HP tech support tell me the HP should recover using the discs but it wont. I tried installing a new not activated full version of Xp and it wont detect that either. Wont do anything ! very annoying.
    Did you try deleting the partition and re-formatting it? You cannot do a straight install of XP over Vista. If you need to save the data on there then pull the drive out and set it up in the other computer as a secondary drive.

Quote Originally Posted by curlyben
    Simple really.
    Make yourself a Win98 boot disc.
    Boot to it and FULLY format your drive.
    Then you'll be able to use your recovery discs and reinstall XP.
    Not too sure if that's going to work as the drive is probably formatted with NTFS and Win98 won't know how to handle it. There's also the 32 gig limitation to the disc size with fat32.

Vista does something weird to the drive because even Ghost has to deal with the Vista drive differently.
    BossMan

Jun 11, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrike
    You cannot do a straight install of XP over Vista.
    Well it is possible, but you need to use a FULL XP disc.
    My laptop came preinstalled with Vista and I did just that.

Quote Originally Posted by jstrike
    Not too sure if that's going to work as the drive is probably formatted with NTFS and Win98 won't know how to handle it. There's also the 32 gig limitation to the disc size with fat32.
    True forgot about Vista and NTFS, but you could fdisk and then format. The 32 Gb limit doesn't really matter as once formated the recovery discs can then be used.
    You could always try this Download details: Windows XP Professional Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install or here Free Pc Tech Support - Boot Disk Downloads for XP boot discs and go from there.

Jun 11, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Jstrike---Where do I delete the partition ? The only place I can access anything is in Safe mode and that is limited.

Curley Ben--- not sure how to do that but I will try anything thanks.
    BossMan

Jun 11, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Phebe, follow the links that I gave, they give instructions how to do it.
    ansarch Posts: 5, Reputation: -1

Jun 17, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Jstrike---Where do I delete the partition ? the only place I can access anything is in Safe mode and that is limited.

Curley Ben--- not sure how to do that but I will try anything thanks.
    as one of the mate said make a formate disk then delete the HDD partations which is based on LEP L=logical , E=extended, P=primary
    once they all are deleted make new partaion of your HDD which is based on PEL
    reverse of first process and then install the OS = operating system
    BossMan

Jun 17, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Ansarch, when using XP recovery discs or a FULL disc make new partitions in this way is unneeded, as the setup process deals with this for you.

Jun 17, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Thanks guys for al the answers, however I can only access anything in safe mode. I can't boot from a drive or c drive , all I get is Vista wants a key:<
    ansarch Posts: 5, Reputation: -1

Jun 18, 2007, 02:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Ansarch, when using XP recovery discs or a FULL disc make new partitions in this way is unneeded, as the setup process deals with this for you.
    But u said u cudt use recovery disks that's y I suggested to do it manualy
    BossMan

Jun 18, 2007, 02:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ansarch
    but u said u cudt use recovery disks thats y i suggested to do it manualy
    Please use ENGLISH when posting on this site.
    BossMan

Jun 18, 2007, 02:36 AM
    thanks guys for al the answers, however I can only access anything in safe mode. I can't boot from a drive or c drive , all I get is Vista wants a key:<
    Sounds like you need to chaange the boot order in the BIOS to look at CD/Floppy first rather than C:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 18, 2007, 05:43 AM
    thanks guys for al the answers, however I can only access anything in safe mode. I can't boot from a drive or c drive , all I get is Vista wants a key:<
    First, OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. Windows has ALWAYS been licensed to be installed on ONE machine only. Any attempts to install on multiple machines will result in problems. Further, if you purchase a Vista license with a new machine, it can only be used on that machine. For example I have a Vista Ultimate license that I received, I wanted to put that on a new PC I purchased with Vista Home Premium then use the Home premium license to upgrade an XP machine, but was told I couldn't do that sinve the Home premium was licensed for that specific machine.

However, it should not be difficult to restore your other machine back to XP. I think your problem is your boot sequence. Try pressing F10 when you boot to get into the Recovery partition on your HP then run the recovery from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

XP to Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Ok This is the situation Old Computer - Windows XP Home OE6 New Computer - Windows Vista - Microsoft Mail I saved all of the .dbx in OE6 (Including Folders.dbx) -I put all of the .dbx's on a CD-R disk -Copied Them To A Folder In Documents On Vista -I Ensure that the files are not read...

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

Vista OS Info [ 8 Answers ]

As the time nears to purchase a new laptop, I am struggling to get the full picture of the changes to expect with Vista, the performance issues/solutions that others have experienced, and something I've read at least once about incompatibility between XP-generated documents and the Vista OS and...

Revert system from Vista back to XP [ 3 Answers ]

I have purchased a PC with Vista Home Premium system. I am having many problems tracking down hardware/software updates. Can you advise of any problems in changing to Win xP.

Windows Vista [ 3 Answers ]

Looking for feedback on Windows Vista... (pros/cons)...

View more questions Search