Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rahul_chaubey Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Jun 10, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Air related
    Hey
    Here is my quistion
    Can any body tell me whether density of air increases with increase of temperature or decreases with its reise
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Like any other gas it decreases, indirectly proportional to the absolute temperature.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 11, 2007, 07:54 AM
    I think Labman means pressure is directly proportional to absolute temperature. From the ideal gas law:

Where P = pressure, = density, R= ideal gas constant, and T = temp in Kelvins.

Actually air is not an ideal gas, primarily due to moisture content. The mositure in air can cause a greater increase in pressure with rising temperature than is predicted by the ideal gas law. This is the reason why those who really care about such things prefer to fill their automobile tires with pure nitrogen instead of plain old air - the nitrogen gas holds less moisture than air, and consequently when the tire heats up a nitrogen-filled tire experiences less pressure build-up than an air-filled tire. Nitrogen is commonly used in automobile racing.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 11, 2007, 06:54 PM
    I want to amend my previous post - I was thinking about pressure of gas in a closed container, not density. As temp goes up, the pressure goes up, assuming a constant volume of the container and a constant number of moloes of gas in the container (i.e. constant density).

However, if the question is with respect to how air behaves under typical weather conditions, the situation is somewhat different. In general, the density of the atmosphere gets lower when the temperature goes up. For example, on a hot day in the desert the density of the air is significantly less than on a cool day. Thus for airplanes trying to take off from an airport in the desert (Phoenix, for example), when the temperature gets very hot the density of the air may decrease to the point where the lift the wings can generate is significantly lowered, and so the amount of cargo the plane can carry is reduced. Thus the density is roughly inversely proportional to the temp.

Sorry for the confusion.
    rahul_chaubey Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Jun 23, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rahul_chaubey
    hey
    here is my quistion
    can any body tell me whether density of air increases with increase of temperature or decreases with its reise
    Sir but when relative humidity increses density decreases as it would increses vapour particle(h2o) as instead of nitrogen whose molecular weight is higher than h2o
    As you are aware that if temp decreses relative humidity correspondingly inreases clear it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are my problems related? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, sorry my first post is a 'please help' but I'm desperate. I bought my PC about 2 months ago and had no problems until this week until, out of the blue: Home page is set to Wanadoo but it suddenly looked completely different. The usual red background has gone, the format is completely...

Electricity related [ 3 Answers ]

Can any body tellme what is difference between 2-PHASE and 3-PHAE connection of electricity

Automobile related [ 1 Answers ]

16v indicates that each cylinder carrys 4 valve But can any body tell me what for these no of valves are being used instead of 2 valve Would this going to increase any efficiency

Are we related [ 12 Answers ]

Please can you tell me if I am related to my brother in laws wife

Are We Related:(? [ 7 Answers ]

This sucks really bad. My G/f just told me she was at a family dinner at someone who I was believed to be related to also... Here's the deal I am 6th Cousins with a man. This man happens to be my girlfriends Step grandmothers brother. Are we related? This is very important and help would be...

View more questions Search