Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Well, it does give you a snapshot of Mr. Doe's moral character when, instead of returning the papers to you and knowing that the boss might be interested in what you are up to, he stuffs them into the boss's mailbox. Yes, I'd certainly watch where I walk, if I were you, and be triple careful I don't give Mr. Doe any new occasions to trip me up.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 10:26 AM
    As others have said, now you know how this guy is, and spending a lot of time with people such as he (brown nosers we called them) I can tell you being careful around him is necessary, and Cover Your Own A$$, is essential. Life is full of people who have a need to show they are smart, by making you look dumb. Another thing to remember is he can only do what he does, if your boss allows it, and believe me there are many that do encourage this behavior, as a way to keep there finger on what's going on when he is not around. Whatever his problem, don't get caught in his web, by being more careful. No doubt he has done this to others as well, so you better be careful as this coward will never confront you, but is always looking to undermine you behind your back. That's what snitches do.
    Lenovo Posts: 180, Reputation: 14

Jun 10, 2007, 10:44 AM
    I totally agree there, I hate snitches as much as cops. However, no matter how careful I am, I'm sure he'll find the smallest thing to pinpoint to my boss, like these papers for example. I was thinking of approaching him, and finding out what his deal was, but I think that just looks bad on my part, that would make me look like I was wanting to get away with something, if he is thinking I did something wrong.

I was just thinking of the golden rule.

"Do as to others as you would like others to do to you"

Does this mean he would like me to go behind his back and find something to give to the boss about him?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Don't demean yourself by getting down to his level. How about another Bible verse that says something like, "Heap coals of fire on your enemy's head"--meaning 'treat him civilly, even nicely, so he becomes embarrassed that he's being such a jerk."

Jun 10, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Don't demean yourself by getting down to his level. How about another Bible verse that says something like, "Heap coals of fire on your enemy's head"--meaning 'treat him civilly, even nicely, so he becomes embarrassed that he's being such a jerk."
    I like that, So OK, I'll go to home depot, and get some coals, heat them up and when he shows up at work, hurl them at him. Nice suggestion. LOL Just kidding, I know what you mean.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Hmmmm, maybe I've been misunderstanding that verse all these years... You might be on to something, Lenovo!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Be clear he has an agenda, and that is to step on you, and gain favor with his boss, for maybe favors as in a better job, or shift, or whatever. You said he was equal to you, in authority, and has to have something that puts him on top, and therefore be more valuable. Confronting him makes it personal, but keeping your eyes open, and watching your back will serve you better.

Jun 10, 2007, 08:53 PM
    How could a company actually promote behavior like this? If you think about it, it would eventually turn everyone against everyone. I try to watch my back, but he will find something to b**** about. As I noticed earlier today, at least he isn't picking me out, he seems to be ratting on everyone. I noticed one note that he ratted out one guard that fell asleep in the office, and I felt bad for that guard because he had to work third shift that night, (goes from 2300-0700). Is this guy really looking for something? Could it be possible there is something he is doing that no one else sees?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 09:29 PM
    You said he's a retired corrections officer? This is what correction officers do--watch and "maintain control" and make sure inmates get their just (or unjust) deserts. He seems to have a huge control issue. Somewhere along the way, he gets rewarded (emotionally? Verbally? Monetarily?) for ratting out offenders. Maybe it's a self-righteous thing; maybe it's part of his control thing that the company "appreciates".

Like I and others have told you, watch your back and keep your nose clean. (That's, like, prison talk but very appropriate in this case.) There's nothing you can do to get back at him or to replace him in the boss's favor. If he's already retired from one job, maybe you can outlast him in this one. Otherwise, start job hunting.

Jun 10, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Yes, and thank you all for the responses on this "case" I just really hope I out last him in this job!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rat Control [ 18 Answers ]

I have lived in the same home for 27 yrs. Nothing has changed! There is just furniture in my basement, absolutely no food. The basement is "all of a sudden" infested with rats. I have set 6 traps... I have only one trap left. Now I must find the rats in the other traps. Yuk! Why... all of a...

Rat Terrier is sick [ 2 Answers ]

My rat terrier is not well, a yesterday she at some dog food she usually does not eat and now she is pooping blood and seems to be constipated... I need some suggetions since I really can't afford another vet bill... :confused:

Rat Troubles [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All! I live in a condominium village where all the units are connected. The units are individually owned and my mother and I live in two separate units side by side. Today my dogs discovered rats inside the under belly of my electric grill. The grill has been covered with a black grill...

View more questions Search