Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tennis99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 11:52 AM
    civil law
    back in the late 90's, I had a civil lawsuitthat was won by the person taking a civil lawsuit against me. I was paying a certain amount to them monthly but then I had a stroke. As of recently, the lawyers that represented the other person, have been calling and asking for the lump sum(which is a good chunk) and I have told them I can't do the lump sum but am willing to send monthly increments. They want the lump sum by Friday or they say they will have me arrested by by putting a capias out on me. Can they have me arrested?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Tell the attoney to issued it, than you can sue them for false arrest. Civil matter are always handle by a summons, on criminal matter call for arrest.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Well you have two choices, call the attorney's bluff or tell him you will report him to the bar association.

There is no such thing as debtor's prison. They cannot arrest you for non payment of a debt. No way, No how. The only way they MIGHT be able to arrest you is if you failed to appear at a hearing and then only to make sure you show up for a subsequent hearing. But since they already have a judgement against you there is nothing more they can do. And making threats like that is a violation of professional ethics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil Law [ 1 Answers ]

After you file a lawsuit in the court room, before your statue of limitations runs out, what's the average time it takes for the court to review the case and set a court date?

New Law coming in about common law spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I understand a new law will be coming soon, to protect the common law spouse. Given similar rights as if you were married. Can somebody help!! I would like to know the date when the law will be in place and what this will entail?

Civil law [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to fire your landlord?:o

Civil Law Suite [ 1 Answers ]

In the State of Texas, how long does a defendant have to file a Vacate of Judgment on a lawsuite after the judgement has been issued by the court? Thank you for your help

Civil Action [ 2 Answers ]

I am a co signer on an auto loan. The auto was repossed serveral years ago and the remaining balance due was never paid. I am being sued for balance due, Interest and Legal fees. My question is can the sheriff sell my things and since my husbands not on the loan can they go after his truck that's...

View more questions Search