Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newby4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 07:30 PM
    Roughing in bathroom plumbing
    I am installing a bathroom in my basement. Stand up shower, vanity with sink. The only thing roughed in, is the toilet! There is a vent close by and the sewer main. But the vent is 20" from the wall out in the open. The main is tucked up close to the wall. But my shower is going to be very close to the vent. Can I remove concrete, cut and move vent closer to wall, and tie my shower, sink and toilet into the same vent and main?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Hi Newby...

You sure can... :) Here, you can use the 2" vent from the toilet as a drain and vent for the shower and the sink. This is referred to as wet venting fixtures and, in terms of state plumbing codes, is permissible in most of the country.

Cut the vent pipe to the toilet where you need to and then install a 2" wye fitting to pick up the shower drain and PTRAP. Then you will continue the 2" vent and bring it out of the floor using a 2" long sweep elbow and a cleanout (called a dandy clean out or a test tee...see image) and pick up the sink drain with a 1.5" drain line (off a 2"x1.5" sanitary tee fitting). The 2" vent would continue up to connect into another 2" or larger vent pipe upstairs or in the attic.

I have included an old diagram that was from another post but is similar to your post in that it uses the toilet vent to pick up the shower and the sink and then goes off as a 2" vent... see diagram.

Let me know if all that made sense... OK?

MARK
    Attached Images

newby4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 04:48 PM

Awesome, thank you sir! That will help a lot.. I'm in Colorado, so I think you are right on the codes, I should be OK doing that. One more question? My sink is going to be another 6' feet away from the toilet stub. Can I run the sink drain through my wall back towards the toilet? Using that new flexible clear line they are using out here? Forgot what its called? I'm just not excited about tearingout 10' feet or so of concrete!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 05:00 PM
    [QUOTE=newby4;2160792 can i run the sink drain through my wall back towards the toilet? using that new flexible clear line they are using out here? [/QUOTE]

Clear flexible line? Are you talking about water line, or drainage line? Never seen a clear flexible drainage line.

You crap you might be right. Now that I think about it. I think it is a water line. They don't use much copper anymore here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

Advise on the proper fitting to convert my 3 inch copper waiste to 3 inch pvc

Roughing in basement plumbing [ 26 Answers ]

Hi, I'm roughing in my basement. I have a lavatory on the other side of the wall from a washing machine. Can I plumb the lavatory into the stack? Of the washing machine (the pipe the washing machine discharges to)? Thanks.

Roughing in bathroom [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: I have a house that was built back in the 50's and I want to add a complete full bath in the basement. The basement has been finished there was a wet bar in the area I want to put the bathroom. I hope you are ready I have a lot of questions. THere is a PVC pipe coming up from the...

Bathroom plumbing with basement bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me what cause my upstairs bathroom to back up into my basement bathroom?

Roughing in basement plumbing from scratch [ 2 Answers ]

Hello new to forum. I'm looking to put a full bath room into our basement. My main drain is under ground and I have no existing fixures. I've located where the main runs though the basement and plan on cutting into the drain in two places. One to hook up the toilet and the other to hook up...

View more questions Search