Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RRech17 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Basement Toilet Overflowing
    I have a 2 floor house with a full basement. Each floor has a bathroom located on it. The basement toilet recently started to overflow even though it is not being used. The water in the toilet is almost black and seems to overflow when water in the rest of the house is used. I attempted to use a plunger on the toilet and it seemed to work at first then the water would fill to almost the top of the toilet and drain very slowly. Sometimes that water in the bowl seems almost empty. Is this something that can be fixed by myself by removing the toilet and snaking the pipe or would it best be left to a professional. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 5, 2007, 06:03 AM
    "Is this something that can be fixed by myself by removing the toilet and snaking the pipe or would it best be left to a professional."
    You know your limitations better then I. I'll tell you what's wrong and you can decide.
    You have a blockage in the sewer line downstream from basement toilet. Everything you drain or flush above it comes back up out of that toilet.
    The solution is to snake from a roof vent or pull the toilet and snake from there. If you're on a septic system I would check the tank first to be sure it doesn't need to be pumped. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Basement Floor Drain Overflowing Under Hard Rain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a house that was built in 1989. I have lived in the house for 5 years. There is a floor drain in my basement that is not plumbed to the sump hole. I am not sure where the drain goes, but in the 5 years that I have lived here the drain has overflowed twice. It creates about a...

Toilet in basement -already has rough in [ 3 Answers ]

Hi we are installing a toilet in the basement of our new home. There is already a 4 inch stub that was left by the contractors. I have a couple of questions. 1.What kind of flange do we need for it to be flush with the concrete? Should we just buy a 3" flange and glue it into the four inch...

Toilet Spews into basement [ 4 Answers ]

Me and the wife are renovating a 1950's home bathroom (first floor). Every time we flushed the toilet the floor around the toilet got wet. When we go down to the basement we see raw sewage spilling from the bathroom. A plumber came through and snaked the toilet out to the street. No fix. ...

Moving a toilet in the Basement [ 4 Answers ]

I want to move my basement toilet to another location as part of a bathroom remodeling project. I have a cement floor. The toilet sits on top of a 2.5 inch build up of cement... kind of like a platform of some sort. The vent pipe appears to go into the cement and I assume connects to the toilet...

View more questions Search