Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shiannezwish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 08:57 AM
    Child custody
    My girlfriend and I had a baby 8 months ago. I signed paternity papers and the birth certificate when my daughter was born. Her mother and I have never lived together although we share custody. She left the baby with me 3 weeks ago. What are my rights as a father if she wants to take the baby back?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Hello shian:

Since you've apparently never formalized your custody arrangement, your rights are the same as hers - which tells you exactly NOTHING.

So go do that! You need to hire a family attorney RIGHT NOW. DO NOT wait until she wants the baby back. DO NOT pass go and collect $200.

excon
    teenam1111 Posts: 16, Reputation: -3

Oct 29, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shiannezwish
    My girlfriend and I had a baby 8 months ago. I signed paternity papers and the birth certificate when my daughter was born. Her mother and I have never lived together although we share custody. She left the baby with me 3 weeks ago. What are my rights as a father if she wants to take the baby back?
    You could file child abandonment charges against her . If you don't want her to come and take the baby away from you . Then do that ! I am a Mother of 5 and would never just leave my child and not see them in 3 weeks time ! This way it will show the judge that possibly she didn't bond with the baby , that she has no mothering instincts , and that she " has other important things to do" . Rather than check on yalls baby . You also need to bring up this . That the Mother obviously trusts you to take care of the baby . So that will show the judge also . That you are the one that should have custody of her . File for legal custody . It will be really hard for to get her back . Good luck to you .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child custody [ 4 Answers ]

In August of this year my daughter went to stay with her grandmother to go to a private school. At the time I believed everything was fine. Since then my mother has not allowed me to see her or speak to her. It's been a long time since I've even been able to talk to my mother. A month after she was...

Child custody [ 5 Answers ]

I am a male living in Louisiana. My wife is addicted to pain pills (methadone). There are several doctors that also think she is addicted. Her current doctor is giving her 200 pills every month and she also goes to another doctor and gets other types of pain pills. The doctors do not know she...

Child Custody [ 1 Answers ]

I live in BC, Canada. I have been in a commonlaw relationship for 6 years now. I have recently found out my partner had slept with someone else 2 years ago. His family has been mentally and emotionally abusive to me and he is an alcoholic. I don't want our daughter around his family at all. ...

Child custody [ 1 Answers ]

I really need some advice I recently left my abusive hubby of 5 years. And we have a 7 year old daughter together . I was letting him see her every weekend. Cause she loves her father and I would like her to continue doing so.he pick her up on dec the 17 and went to Florida with her .now he is...

Child custody [ 5 Answers ]

I have to grandchildren who have been abandoned, because there father my Son was murdered by their mother, the mother of the children well her mother Keeps denying me visitation rights since all this she is harboring them all to her Self I feel as though I am the victim all over again, I do have...

View more questions Search