Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmukite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 05:00 PM
    I only have a white wire and a black wire how do I connect them to the receptacle
    I have 1 white wire and 1 black wire how do I connect them to the receptacle?
    leifweaver Posts: 39, Reputation: 11

Feb 21, 2010, 05:27 PM

The black is the hot wire, the white is the neutral. New receptacles usually have the side that they connect to written on the back. If the box is grounded, you will also need to connect a copper wire (the ground) from the green screw to the metal box. If your box is plastic, I would use a GFCI receptacle, which would protect from shock (although it will not protect sensitive electronic equipment). If the GFCI is not grounded, law (and safety) requires you to put "No equipment ground" label on the receptacle. The label comes with all new GFCI outlets.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 05:37 AM

Black connects to the brass terminal, and the white connects to the silver colored terminal, on a receptacle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ceiling fan has black, white, and a black/white wire? [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with this combination of wires? I am trying to change out ceiling fans in my living room. From ceiling box I have: a black wire, and a white wire, and no ground From the fan w/ light kit I have: a black wire, white wire, and a black w/ while stripe wire, and no...

Black wire red wire and white wire spliced to 10/3 on a 220 circuit [ 25 Answers ]

I have installed a disconnect between my dryer receptable and a tanning bed. I want to splice the 10/3 box wire to the existing 220 wiring at the dryer. Dryer= red, black, white and bare ground wires 10/3 wire= black, white, and bare ground How do I splice these to allow the disconnect box to...

How do I wire a switch with pilot light with 1 black, 1 white, and 1 ground wire? [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced an outdoor outlet controlled by an interior switch with a Cooper gfci outlet and it tested fine. Then I replaced the existing switch with a Cooper switch with pilot light. The switch has one line coming into it with one white(hot), one black(neutral), and one ground. When I connect...

I have black red White wire in the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I have black red and white wires in the ceiling and blue black white and green on the fan which do I hook up to which?

Blue wire connected to white or black? [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a Hampton bay ceiling fan but no installation manual. Does the blue wire get connected to the white or black house wire?

View more questions Search