Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gina77 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Taxes for Independent Contractor
    I just started to do work from home for a few different companies. All of which do not send a 1099 unless I earn around $400-500.

I checked on the IRS website and found that I have to claim any income in excess of $500. If I earn over $500 in one year but it is split between say 4 companies and none of them are required to send me a 1099, am I still required to file and how do I do that without a 1099? I am keeping track of all the income I receive and from who, but would that be "proof" of the income? I don't want the IRS coming back to me saying I didn't pay taxes or enough taxes.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2007, 09:21 PM
    I'm not a tax expert. But, I am a self-employed person - an independent contractor. Have been self-employed as well as employed by others for most of my life. But, most of the time it has been by self-employment.

Most of the work that I do is in other people's homes. They either write me a check, or sometimes pay me cash. Either way, if the IRS really wanted to do a check on me, they would be looking into all of my bank accounts.

When I receive a check, I make a photo-copy of it. When I receive cash for payments, (some people just don't like to write checks), I write the customer a receipt. Those are my proofs of what I have made. I also use Quicken to keep track of everything.

My attorney is a tax attorney. Thus, he does my taxes for me. To date, over the many years that a good portion of my income has been through self-employment, no one who would know anything has ever raised an issue with my accounting methods. It could be the same in your case, if you are meticulously keeping track of everything.

I suppose there might be an issue if I was making really big bucks. But, I don't really know. I don't make really big bucks.

Hopefully, someone will come along who is really knowledgeable about withholding and tax issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I will be an taking on an independent contractor position with an at-home call center company. This will be a part-time job. I have never been an independent contractor before and want to make sure I don't get myself in trouble or receive a big tax bill. Do I need to let the IRS...

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Fall 2006,I found a great job through a staffing agency. The job is Office Manager with a very small service firm. After 2 weeks the company "bought" me from the agency for several thousand dollars. To meet their budget needs, they offered to bring me to their staff as an independent contractor...

Independent Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

I am about to begin working online as an independent contractor. I understand that I will receive a 1099 MISC form at the end of the year. That's about all I understand. I live in Arkansas, and I was wondering... what percentage of what I make do I need to put up for taxes? And what if I would...

Independent Contractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I took on this part time job since last May and immediately they started paying me via Western Union and also Pay Pal. Never once did they ever discuss they'd be reporting wages, I always believed it was "under the table" money. They never had sign a W-9 or an independent Contractor form,...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

View more questions Search