Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessthemessx0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2011, 10:38 PM
    If a land speed record car travels 5 miles in 73 seconds. Average speed? MPH
    I don't know how to calculate this or how to even start it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 14, 2011, 07:27 AM
    First convert the time to seconds. Then calcuilate average speed in miles per second by dividng the distance traveled (in miles) by time (in seconds). But since they want the answer in miles per hour you must multiply by a conversion factor. You should know that 1 hour equals 3600 seconds, so you can multiply your answer above by

because that's like multiplying by 1. This converts the answer from miles per second to miles per hour. For example, you can convert 0.1 miles per second to the equivalent miles per hour like this:

Hope this helps - post back with your final answer and we'll check it for you.
    cheesyredcolor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 10:38 PM
    A simple method is 5 Miles / 73 Seconds = 0.068 Miles per Second.
    now 0.068 Miles per second x 60 Seconds = 4.08 Miles per Minute.
    then 4.08 Miles per minute x 60 Minutes = 244.8 Miles per Hour.
    On average it will travel 244.8 Miles per Hour.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find the average speed of a round trip, to I go 80 mph and from I go 20 mph? [ 4 Answers ]

It is an online homework question that I am stumped on! All I know is that I travel to work at 80mph and from I travel 20mph, and it wants my average speed or avgV!

How to find final speed when initial speed and average speed is given [ 5 Answers ]

a car travels a certain distance with a speed of 40m/s and returns with a speed 'u'. If the average speed for the whole journey is 48m/sec what is the value of'u'?

A ford SUV travels at a speed of 50 mi/hr for 4hrs. How far did the car travel? [ 3 Answers ]

A ford SUV travels at a speed of 50 mi/hr for 4hrs. How far did the car travel?

I travel twenty miles and it took me one hour five minutes, what was my average speed [ 2 Answers ]

I travel twenty miles and it took me one hour five minutes, what was my average speed?

View more questions Search