Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erinam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Roper Electric dryer not heating/knob won't turn
    My 5 year old roper dryer (model: REX4634KQ1) is turning, but not heating and the knob won't turn. Wondering what this may be? All of the lint is cleared out and everything else works fine. Both of these problems happened at the same time. Related or not related? :confused:
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Explain further, what knob is not turning?
    erinam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 10:06 AM
    The knob for the timer is not turning as the drying cycle is supposed to go from start to finish. i.e. I set it at permanent press @ high heat all the way to the left. It usually goes from point a to point b as it goes through the drying cycle. It seems to not register that it is actually supposed to be heating up and drying something... confusing!!
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
    If the timer is advancing but not drying I would suspect the element or one of the thermostats are bad. Unplug unit, pull one wire off each thermostat and the element and check eack componet for continuity. If none, that part is bad and will need replaced.
    maya07 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 10, 2007, 06:46 PM
    I do believe that your first complaint is that the main timer knob is not turning, and no
    heat. The heating circult consists of two lines of 120v each supplied to the heating element. I can tell you that one side is working being the motor is running, it supplies half to the voltage needed to the heating element to work. The other side is supplied from the timer to the thermostat's then to the element. Being that the timer is acting up my thought
    is it that the timer is not sending the 120volts to the other side of the circult that is
    needed to supply the other line to element. I would not recommend that
    you open the machine to test circults unless you have an electrical background and
    know how to use a meter to test voltage. Long story short my best guess would be
    that you need a new timer. If you do have knowledge here is what to do to test
    and locate the problem. Locate the supply wire off the timer that runs to the
    operating thermostat, verify if the timer is sending the 120V to the thermostat.
    I pulled a wiring diagram and it is a red wire off the timer to the therm.

X-Tech

I think this is were you will find you are missing the supply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE electric dryer won't turn on [ 5 Answers ]

I have a dryer that is about 4 years old. It was working, I changed loads and now it won't do anything. It dried the last load fine, the clothes were warm and I stopped the dryer to take out the dry clothes. But now nothing at all. Checked breaker and it was fine. Thanks for help.

GE Profile Harmony Electric Dryer stops heating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a GE Profile Harmony electric dryer that is not working correctly since moving into a new house. Basically, it will work for a couple of loads, then will no longer get hot or blow air out of the vent. I have checked that the 220 is still working when it stops heating so that is not the...

Roper dryer not heating and settings knob not turning [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roper dryer and it has stopped drying. I have taken the back off and tested the continuity on the element and on the 2 thermostats on the element housing and they all have continuity. I have noticed that when I run the dryer that the settings knob does not turn it stays in the same spot ...

Heating Coils in my dryer won't turn off [ 2 Answers ]

We just replaced the heating element in our Kenmore dryer because it wasn't getting hot. But now the coils won't turn off, unless we completely unplug it from the wall. We have no clue what it could be.

View more questions Search