Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c c Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 11:28 AM
    5th grade math
    This is a 5th grade math problem. This is not a tricky question. This is a real math question so don't say that a bus has no legs.

There are 7 girls in a bus.
    Each girl has 7 backpacks.
    In each backpack, there are 7 big cats.
    For every big cat there are 7 little cats.

Question: How many legs are there in the bus? There is no bus driver in this question.:eek:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 11:31 AM
    It's a multiplication question but there is information in that word problem that is not relevant (sneaky eh? :))

Just think of this: what has legs in that list of stuff in the bus? And many legs does each thing have.
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 12:23 PM
    You won't get the answer as per our policy.

Also please familiarize yourself with the use of the commenting feature here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum-...nes-24951.html

Aug 25, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    It's a multiplication question but there is information in that word problem that is not relevant (sneaky eh? :))

Just think of this: what has legs in that list of stuff in the bus? And many legs does each thing have.
    OK is the irrelevant info the 7 small cats because it doesn't say they are in the bus nor the back packs? Or is it that the girls didn't bring the back packs?

All ways I thought of the problem are:
    1) assuming all are in the bus...
    for each girl there are 7 backpacks inside each are 7 big cats and 49 little cats then multiply by 4 legs then multiply by 7 since there are 7 girls then add two legs per 7 girls .
    that would be 2401 cats X 4 legs 9,604 legs for each girl and x 7 for 7 girls + 14 legs for the total legs of all 7 girls.
    I got 67242 legs in the bus

2) if the little cats are not on the bus then
    it's just 7 big cats x 7 back packs x7 girls x 4 legs + 14 girl's legs. = 1386

7 girls x 7 backpacks X 7 cats per backpack so there are 343 cats then 343 cats + 14

Here are various answers I got and checked and they were not counted as correct.

Aug 25, 2008, 01:10 PM
    7 little cats + 1 big cat = 8
    8 x 7 big cats = 56
    56 x 7 backpacks = 392
    392 x 7 girls = 2744
    2744 x 4 feet = 10976
    10976 + (7 girls x 2 feet) = 10990

So there are 10990 total feet on the bus!!
    This is what I think now in thinking another way...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 25, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Look again at the number for each part.
    So;
    Girls - X
    Big cats - Y
    Small cats - Z

Hints Y and Z are different numbers.

So then work out the number of legs.
    Then add up.

** Edit - Do you understand WHY ?
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 01:17 PM
    More hints

Here are the things with legs:
    - girls
    - small cats
    - big cats

You'll have to know the amount of each creature above and multiply by the correct amount of legs for that creature.

Edit to add: Curly was thinking the same as I - I was sitting too long in edit mode, that'll teach me to multitask :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3rd grade math [ 6 Answers ]

(8+1)+5=8+(?+5)

Grade 10 Math Sumamtive [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I'm in grade ten academic math and our summative has me stumped. Our task was for one class to take a question that was given to us WITHOUT any numbers, just the question and a diagram, and describe how we would go about answering the question. The question was this: You are an engineer...

8th grade math [ 1 Answers ]

of all pairs of consecuitive integers whose sum is greater then 100 find the pair whose sum is the least.

5th grade math [ 3 Answers ]

My son came home with homework tonight. Problem solving. Question is : Yasu is making programs for the next band concert. He is using tan, gray, ivory and lemon colored paper. The cover design will be printed in either black, maroon, or purple ink. List all the different combinations he can...

View more questions Search