Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsthvnfun37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Need advice about child in states custody
    Hi, I live in Tennessee, and two years ago the state gained temporary custody of my daughter. At the time I didn't have a stable home so I thought there was no way to get her back. I know two years is a long time to wait, but under the circumstances I didn't know what to do legally. I admit I wasn't the greatest mother in the world, but I worked hard and tried to raise my family together. If there is any way I can get my daughter back I would do whatever it takes to do so. I don't expect anyone to take pity on me for waiting so long. What I would like is some advice on how to get her back. She will be 13 next month and has cerebral palsy. Now don't think I didn't take care of her because of her handicap. I worked nights and trusted people I know now I shouldn't have to take care of her and see that she went to school clean. She was taken from me due to neglect. Please, any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2006, 06:28 AM
    HI,
    I suggest getting a lawyer, one suggested by friends, or a local reputable one, familiar with custody cases. He/she can guide you in what to do, and help. Always ask the cost. I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 07:04 AM
    You will basically have to petition though the courts to have custody returned to you.

They will look for.
    1. stable work history
    2. living conditions, including room where your daughter would stay
    3. ability to care for her and care for her while you work

4. They may also require you to take parenting classes or special classes for parents with handicaped children.

You will need an attorney for this ( or should have anyway )

While in state custody have you visited your daughter ? Often some of the first steps are working out visitation agreements and at times they start with over night trips to get a idea of how you will be with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child custody [ 6 Answers ]

Can any one give me some avice on child custody?I have sole custody now and the mom is taking me back to court and is asking for full custody.she has been court order to see child on wensdays and every other weekends. She has taken our son two time in last 60 days.how do I keep the sole...

Child Custody [ 6 Answers ]

My partner is currently pregnant and her ex-boyfriend wants to take away the baby. She doesn't want to ask for any child support but she know and is aware that he has to be apart of the babies life. We have both tried talking to him, to let him know that he is going to be a part of the baby, but he...

Child Custody [ 1 Answers ]

I live in BC, Canada. I have been in a commonlaw relationship for 6 years now. I have recently found out my partner had slept with someone else 2 years ago. His family has been mentally and emotionally abusive to me and he is an alcoholic. I don't want our daughter around his family at all. ...

Child custody help [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend is taking me to court to get full custody of my 7 months old son?  He is using stupid things to go against me.  I was just wondering what should I worried about.. because I do not do drug.. When I was 4 months pregnant he wanted to get abortion but I wouldn't do it.. can I use...

Child custody [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-husband lives in Arkansas and has custody of my 12 year old daughter. She wants to come back to Virginia to live with me. She has made that clear to him and has even told him that when she comes to Virginia this summer that she is not coming back to Arkansas. She wants me to support her in...

View more questions Search