Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 24, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Ending friendships
    What signs indicate that you want to end a friendship?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 05:40 PM
    I do not know, because I never want to end any.

Joe
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 24, 2007, 06:06 PM
    I only had to end one here recently and it was because I realized that I was being controlled. I will not be in a controlling relationship.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 06:10 PM
    It is very simple.

Do you want to be this person's friend?

If this person annoys you to the point you don't really want to associate with them, then don't. Only you can answer that.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 10:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaching
    What signs indicate that you want to end a friendship?
    You change or your friend changes.

You want to move forward with your life and your friend wants to stay the same.

You want to meet a new variety of people and your friend is comfortable with the same gang.

You want to experience new things and your friend is comfortable right where there at.
    sexybeasty Posts: 112, Reputation: 16

Feb 25, 2007, 04:45 AM
    I had a terrible struggle over this a few years ago. My friend, my oldest, had changed considerably.

She started to date someone new, and she was still married. The new guy was her best friend's boyfriend. O.k. right there, I was having problems liking her, because the betrayal could have been toward me had it been my husband that she had her eye on. By the way, shehas always thought my husband is a dreamboat but he is a one woman man. (Ima lucky gal).

Furthermore, when trying to remain friends, I spoke up when this said friend showed anger toward her daughter for not accepting the new boyfriend when my friend's marriage broke up. I simply stated that my friend was being unfair as the daughter has a right to be upset about the previous events. Things got worse when I found out I couldn't stomach her new beau. I never said anything, but my friend knows me to be very bubbly which I wasn't around him.

This friend quit returning my phone calls and I was still trying to hang on, as it was a 30 year friendship dating back to jr. high. When she called months later and asked how I was, I said I was very ill. She didn't skip a beat and asked me for an address. No condolences and no questions as to what was wrong with me. Weeks later, she called again. The same thing happened. She asked how I was and I replied that I was STILL very ill to which she asked for the same address. I suggested sacrastically that maybe she should write it down this time.

A long time afterward, this same friend called to ask me to come to her wedding. I declined. It is easy to END a friendship. Sometimes hanging on is nearly impossible with some people.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 06:22 AM
    When it cause more grief than happiness.
    ForeverZero Posts: 312, Reputation: 82

Feb 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
    If you have to ask weather or not you want to end it? I'd say that's a sign.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 12:32 PM
    When do you want to end a friendship? I guess when you ask yourself why am I still friends with this person? And list reasons you would want to stay or want to end the friendship. One side will weigh more than the other. Some things will bear more weight than others; such a manipulating, lying, or cheating you, or blatantly ignoring you, or like sexy stated, someone who only was into themselves and not caring about you.

I almost lost my best friend a couple years ago and it nearly killed me. We have been friends since college - over 30 years ago. She was dating and got engaged and just forgot she had other friends. Which, part of that is normal. I could see that. But she never had time for anyone anymore. Then she tried to hook me up with the best friend of her fiancé and that was pitiful - the guy was essentially homeless and sick and needed a place to stay. I was insulted. We finally had one of those long talks and I told her that I loved her as a sister and that would never change. But to please, not push this guy on me. It was like she woke up. We were able to work through that awkward time.

Sometimes though, friendships do not work out for the better. Then it is time to say adieu and go your own ways. Do it in peace.
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 25, 2007, 12:39 PM
    You all sure gave me so much to think about. It is amazing to see how a relationship can evolve and change over time. Someone you think you are close to isn't the same a year later...
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaching
    You all sure gave me so much to think about. It is amazing to see how a relationship can evolve and change over time. Someone you think you are close to isn't the same a year later.....
    That's true. Sometimes your not the same either. While you can hold onto the past and the good times you had it can't be a reason to continue a friendship if it just isn't worth it anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Never ending period! [ 2 Answers ]

I think I am suffering from the never ending period! I have a constant period for 3.5 weeks know. Every day I go through about 3 pads. I am not on the pill and am not taking any Meds and currently not having sex and never been pregnant. I did not have a period last month, but that happens sometimes...

Children's friendships [ 2 Answers ]

I have a child who is almost 9. He has had a hard time making friends. I've recently encouraged him to invite friends to play. I got a phone call from another mother at the school who is having the same issues and thought we should encourage our children to play. She asked that my son come...

Sex at the ending [ 3 Answers ]

My wife is running 9th month is safe now to have sex What problems can come if I have sex at that time

Friendships going wrong [ 6 Answers ]

Hi.I am a very, caring, loving genuine guy 36. Great personality, sense of humour & I have always found it easy to meet people & become friends as I see the good in everyone & my friends & I have a lot in common. Just recently a female friend & I of 4 years, had an argument due to a lot of stress I...

Ending and Stalking [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with this. I met this guy in a game (sue me) and he was all into me and wanted to meet me IRL (he lives close, within 300 miles). He 'loves me' and so I 'loved him' and then he began talking about serious things: Marriage, sex, babies.. And something else, I'm not even straight. But he...

View more questions Search