Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erwinvegas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Getting a screenplay noticed
    Hey experts I am a beginner with writing screenplays (and using computers... I'm not young, just late to join the rat race), but I have been told I describe good ideas for movies. Who do I ask to know how to shop a screenplay without it getting stolen? Should I be pestering lawyers? I guess the question is... is there another way to advertise my screenplay without the use of agents?
    veewat Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 10:38 AM

Screenplays are vulnerable to idea theft so you must register them first with the Writers Guild. Reputable agents won't read unsolicited manuscripts (for fear of the above accusation) so you need to find a lawyer who has a connection to an agent and submit this way.

Hollywood operates on the basis that 'just anybody' can't simply walk in and have their ideas listened to. It takes a great deal of preparation and legwork to go the traditional route. You could make a mini-movie of your screenplay and shoot a homemade version on YouTube. If it's provocative or interesting enough you might get noticed. But it's tough.

Final recommendation: Canvas your friends, relatives, friends of friends of etc. to see if you can sniff out any connection to someone in Hollywood and then go after that connection.

Connections are what it is all about and it can take years to build them. There is no overnight solution. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Get noticed [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get this guy to nitice me ?

Have you noticed? [ 94 Answers ]

Have you noticed that every time Obama or a member of his administration say something or take some sort of action, the market tanks? Going backward in time, here are some examples. March 5, 2009 - Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner give testimony to Senate Finance Committee. DJIA down 279.57...

How does one start to write a screenplay? [ 9 Answers ]

I have a ton of idea's. But don't know where to start on the subject.

Screenplay - Seizing property [ 2 Answers ]

I need some guidance on this for my screenplay. Thanks for reading and if anyone can help, great. Here's the situation: My character, a police detective, believes that an antiques dealer is trafficking in stolen property. He is able to confirm that this is in fact the case. There are some...

Screenplay: Police Ask for ID [ 2 Answers ]

I'm writing a screenplay. Here's the situation, and the legal question(s) that arise from it. I have a character who is suspected of art theft. He has not been charged. It turns out he is out of town. A police detective, who has come to question him questions a neighbor who lives in the same...

View more questions Search