Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anuradhamani Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 11:29 PM
    Occasional sparking inside microwave
    Hi Sir,
    First of all I am very grateful for all the timely help have always received from you.

Now I am having problem with my microwave. Sometimes, when I try to heat some vegetable(cooked) or lentils(cooked) it sparks and makes some roaring noise.
    After sometime, like after a few hours or something, it starts working perfectly normal.
    I don't understand what is going on. Is there a loose connection or something?
    It is hardly two years old, Sharp 1500 Watt Big Microwave.
    Can You please help?
    Anuradhamani
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 11:35 PM
    Are the foods in a microwave safe container? Is there any metal at all anywhere? Even a flower decoration on the container may spark if there is metal in the paint. One of my bowls has a chrome rim so I cannot use that in the microwave. Did you leave a spoon or other utensil in the container while the food was cooking?

Also, sometimes certain foods will create sparks. Dense vegetables such as green beans, carrots, and green peppers have a higher amount of minerals in them than other food items. These minerals include iron, magnesium and selenium. The minerals act like tiny pieces of metal and create arcing effects in a microwave. The sparks result as the microwaves reflect or bounce off the metal. The arcing does not harm the food but it does prevent it from heating thoroughly.
    thegandyman Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

Feb 20, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Having read the last post, I agree that this can happen, and you do have a very powerful microwave oven. 1500W, that's a monster. The container is the most likely culprit. I would call Sharp personally to make sure they're not recalling. Microwaves have come along a long way recently but Monsters like yours which could probably make toast still shouldn't be arcing from beans. Check your containers. And be more concearned about the roaring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dyson sparking [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my dyson is sparking from the motor and it smells, I have tried new brushes but it still sparking.

Wall plug sparking [ 2 Answers ]

Sometimes when I pull out a plug (kitchen appliance) from an electrical socket, a blue spark or flash happens. What does this mean and what should I do?

My civic 93 won't start everything look good but cranking up hear no sparking [ 2 Answers ]

I have honda civic 93 hb and I put zc d16 sohc in it and recently start last night and leave them for warm up and what happen is, it went off and I trying to start nothing happen just cranking and hear no sparkings my dad told me, we did check the fuel pump and fuel line and it good because we...

Motor is sparking on table saw [ 1 Answers ]

I have Dewalt DW744 type 2 table saw. While using it last week I noticed a sharp decrease in power follow by sparks from the motor. I replaced the brushes hoping that would solve the problem but it did not, any suggestions?

View more questions Search