Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nae123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 01:34 PM
    My rat terrier is 1-1/2 years old. He pees every where. I punish him but he continues
    My rat terrier is 1-1/2 years old. He pees every where. I punish him but he continues to pee every where. I don't know what to do any more. Somebody please help me out!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 10, 2011, 01:37 PM
    Punishing him is the absolutely worst thing you can do!

What have you done so far with potty training and going outside? Has he been successful outdoors and this is a new problem?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 10, 2011, 01:38 PM
    Do not punish your dog unless you see him in the act. 10 seconds after the act he has no idea why you are punishing him and this will break the trust you need to have between the two of you.

http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/...fsKgodjlTOGA#_

There are plenty of books on house training and much on the 'net so read up. Crate him until this is fixed. Take him out for a walk 10 minutes after he eats or drinks. Walk him a mile a day, terriers need exercise just like the rest of the canine world.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Nov 10, 2011, 02:09 PM
    Stop punishing him. He doesn't understand what 'punishment' is. All he knows is that you are upset, but not why.

You need to determine why he is peeing.

Is he intact (not neutered)? He could be doing what nature tells him to do-mark his territory. Desexing can help, but at his age there may still be 'accidents' because the habit has been learned.

Is he getting outside to go potty as often as he needs to? Do you leave him in the house with no access to the outside for long periods? Think about how often you go to the bathroom in a day.

If this new behavior, he may have something medically wrong such as a bladder infection. A trip to the vet can determine if he has any health issues. From there you will need to follow Dr.'s orders if there are any.

Have there been any changes that have him upset or stressed? Peeing (and sometimes defecating) can be a way for an animal tell us it is extremely upset/stressed. Punishing an already unhappy animal will only make the behavior worse. If he is new to your family, he may be acting out because of insecurity. Dogs are creatures of habit. When something disrupts what they 'know' it can cause them to act out in the only ways they know how. New babies, new furniture, new schedules, new people, so many things that we take in stride can turn their world upside down.

Has he been properly potty trained? Does he know how to let you know he needs to potty? When he gives indications that he needs to go are they reinforced by taking him outside or does he get ignored until someone takes the time to let him out?

Once you have an idea of what the issue(s) is you can begin to retrain him.

Edited to add: Do not punish him when he is the act. If you catch him lifting his leg or starting to pee, pick him up and with as little emotion or interaction as possible take him outside. Put him on the ground and wait patiently (do not play with him) until he goes potty. Once he does, give him lots of praise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Rat Terrier is having breathing problems [ 10 Answers ]

I have a rat terrier and he is having breathing problems. I have taken him to the vet and they can't find anything wrong with him it is getting worse what can I do for him.

Have we got the right to punish? [ 1 Answers ]

As salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh Some people say that if someone steal something (because he has nothing to eat or something like that),we have the right to cut his hands like in saudi arabia. I have a doubt, is it really said in kur'an that we can punish people like that? Why...

2 yr old rescued rat terrier/mix- goes outside and inside the house- [ 1 Answers ]

I've tried the nature's miracle spray - urine gone--help - I'm honestly ready to give her up - but I love her--

Training Method for Rat Terrier [ 3 Answers ]

Our neighbors are fed up. We have to find a way to control our rat terriers constant barking. He is in a dog run on the side of the house. We live in a busy neighborhood. Kids play in front of the house, he barks. People walk on the sidewalk, he barks. The neighbors are in their backyard, he...

Rat Terrier is sick [ 2 Answers ]

My rat terrier is not well, a yesterday she at some dog food she usually does not eat and now she is pooping blood and seems to be constipated... I need some suggetions since I really can't afford another vet bill... :confused:

View more questions Search