Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anabell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 08:02 PM
    What documentation of a debt am I entitled to?
    I am a defendant in a small claims case. It is for a credit card that they say I owe a about $1,000 - I'm not sure this is valid. The only proof of the debt they have shown me so far is a printout with my name on it, account number and a running total. Can I ask for the original signed contract, copies of transactions and who they were with? I'm not sure what documentation I can get from them. If I ask for documentation that they cannot provide, what will happen? I do know that I have to file a motion to ask for documents.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 05:41 AM
    I would file for anything you can. If they're claiming you owe them money, they need proof to back it up and they have to provide you with that proof if you request it. The court might determine what is necessary for you to have.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2007, 07:23 AM
    You are entitled to ta copy of the opriginal contract or application with your signature on it and a record of all transacations.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Remember to not acknowledge the debt or agree to make any payments at this point. You should check the Statute of Limitations in your state to see if it has expired. You could possibly be home free but not if you acknowledge the debt, that restarts the statute.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2007, 07:44 AM
    In some areas an acknowledgement of the debt restarts the SOL clock. In others it can only be restartied with some actual account activity.

But even if the SOL has expired you are not "home free". The SOL only governs the creditor's ability to see a legal remedy through the court system. The actual obligation to pay never expires nor does the creditor's ability to try and collect. It only changes the methods they can use to collect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GAL and Documentation [ 1 Answers ]

We have a GAL. For many, many years, I was always told to document, document, document, well I document, document, document like it is going out of style. Seriously, I have almost made this a part time job doing all this documenting. I am documenting all the occurrences my ex does with my kids,...

Am I entitled to rent? [ 11 Answers ]

I had a house I co-owned with a friend. I bought his half and the house is now in my name only and my wife and I are living there. My friend and I had agreed that we would get an appraisal and I would then pay him an amount equal to half the equity. He would then sign a quit claim deed, signing the...

Portuguese documentation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... my name is Abida,I currently stay in zimbabwe,my father was Portuguese Goan. I would like to rec laim my fathers citizenship for myself and family. I have lost my fathers birth cirtificate and all documentation relating to this. Could you please assist me in obtainig these documents in...

Question about the documentation of wages [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you so much for your advice on my res. vs. non-res. Status as an F-1 student in the 6th year. Right now I'd have only two more technical questions: 1) In addition to the work I did as a regular employee while on OPT (for which I received a W-2), I also did a...

View more questions Search