Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greenjeans Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Indiana minor emancipation criteria
    I have a 17 year old stepson that has been expelled from high school, does not live at his fathers residence and is gainfully employed.
    My wife is paying child support. We are looking for the information to see if it is possible and on how to file for emancipation of him with the court. Also what type of records would we need to obtain other than school records, home address, and place of employment.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Indiana has no emancipation law, but you may be able to get a judge to grant the child an emancipation if he meets these requirements, although it's not sure whether a judge will say yes or no with no legal guidelines.

1. The petitioning minor wishes to be free from parental control and protection and no longer requires control and protection;

2. The petitioning minor understands the consequences of being free from parental control and protection

3. The petitioning minor has sufficient money for the child's own support; and

4. The petitioning minor has an acceptable plan for independent living.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emancipation of 18 yr old in Indiana [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I share joint physical custody of his eighteen year old daughter with her mother. We still make weekly support payments. My stepdaughter decided she wanted freedom and moved in with her aunt. What steps do we take to discontinue the support payments? Also, if she enrolls in...

Emancipation in Indiana [ 2 Answers ]

We live in Indiana. My boyfriend is 16 years old and he lives with me and an adult friend of ours. Our friend is like a dad to him and helps me to care for him. His mom will not give our friend her rights and she collects foodstamps and child support on him. She does drugs and abuses her son, not...

Indiana emancipation law? [ 5 Answers ]

My brother's girlfriend has been being sexually abused by her physically handicapped older brother from the time she can remember. Both of her parents know about it and have done nothing. She's 16. Child Protective Services came and took her yesterday, but returned her to her parents' home,...

Emancipation in Indiana [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are the parents of six children; the older three ours and the younger three are an adopted sibling group; they have been part of our family for about four years. The oldest adopted son has been a real challenge to raise, and to cut to the point, left home when he turned 18 and...

View more questions Search