Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nobber9999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Male or Female water pipe connectors
    Although I can buy appliances with both male and female connectors and can also buy adaptors, is there a normal practise for having male or female outlets on an internal wall or is it just preference? I realise that a male connector will be more prone to damage although if I am connecting flexipipe then it is more suitable. Any suggestions please?? BTW, I live in Thailand.:p
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Nobber9999 - Hello there far away friend,Now to try to answer your question, Here in AMERICA we try not to put any type cobnnections inside the wall , but a lot of the time it becomes impossible not to. If you put your connections togreather right then they should last for a long time without any trouble, before you close up the wall complety I would pull a pressure check on the water lines for a couple of days,to make sure there are no leaks.:: GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 07:31 PM
    In the US, piping for plumbing is usually inside the walls. It is the common practice to install a shut off or stop valve where the pipe exits the wall for fixture connection. While this is the usual, it is not always done and an adapeter is installed instead.

These stop valves may be installed using a threaded connection, a soldered connection but most often a compression type connection. These valves or adapters have a reduced outflow port designed to accept the common supply tubing of popular fixtures. This outflow connection is also most often a compression type connection.

This system allows not only a convienant place to turn off the water to service a fixture, it permits easy fixture or valve replacement.

How you do your connections should be determined by the type of fixture connections available and the common plumbing practices in your location.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 08:01 PM
    1/2" male connector is very common. Always place shut off valve before the connector. You can also purchase valve that screws onto your rough pluming on one side and accepts appliance connector on the other side. We call it here "angle stop". In case of gas appliance you definitely want to install shut off valve. All valves should be serviceable therefore accessible to plumber.

What exactly are you installing??
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 15, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nobber9999
    Although I can buy appliances with both male and female connectors and can also buy adaptors, is there a normal practise for having male or female outlets on an internal wall or is it just preference? I realise that a male connector will be more prone to damage although if I am connecting flexipipe then it is more suitable. Any suggestions please??? BTW, I live in Thailand.:p
    In the U.S. most of our appliances come with female thread connections. We do not bury our connections inside our walls. We terminate our supplies outside the wall and attach a shut off valve to them. This is only good plumbing practicre so that if a leak develops it will be noticed before it develops into a major spill. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

19 yo male with a 31 yo female [ 8 Answers ]

Is it wrong for a 19 yo to be with a 31 yo and if not would it work out cz I'm worryed for my friend that it's a bit much can any one help me so I can try and help my friend

Male or Female? [ 4 Answers ]

Male or Female? You might not have known this, but a lot of Non-living objects are actually either male or female. Here are some examples: FREEZER BAGS: They are male, because they hold everything in, but you can see right through them.

Male or female [ 2 Answers ]

I have two small dogs a yorkie and a silky, both are males. I want to get a boxer but not sure if I should get a male or female, Since the dog a bigger than the other two I think I should go with a female. Info please!

Female vs Male [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about getting a Calvier King Charles Spaniel a. Would they do well in a crate?? :confused: b.What would be better Male or Female?? :confused:

View more questions Search