Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caluttur Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 08:38 AM
    House wiring from 220v to 120/110v
    I am renovating my house in the Philippines and would like to rewire or wire portions of the house with 110v so I can use the appliances and tools that I bring with me from Canada. The power voltage in the Philippiines is 220v. I would like to install a sub-panel for my 110v distribution. Do I still need a transformer to convert the line from the existing 220 V Panel Board into the new Sub-Panel? If so, where can I get a step-down transformer for my sub-Panel?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 09:18 AM

Cal,

Hold on, please. It's not just the voltage you need to know.

You need to know the required "Hertz" (Used to be called Cycles) of the equipment.

For example, the U.S. and Canada use 60 Hz. If the Philippines uses 50 Hz, then you also have to convert the 50 to 60 HZ.

Amperage is another concern. You must able to deliver the correct level of amperage for your equipment.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 10:01 AM

Yes, you will need a transformer 220 volt to 120.

Philippines uses 60 hertz, so there is no issue with that.

http://www.veco.com.ph/index.html

You should be able to find the proper transformer at an electrical distributor.

You may be better finding an electrician that understands local codes, as I not sure if they allow one leg of 120 volts to be grounded as a neutral.

Nov 4, 2010, 08:12 AM
    Hi TK and Don,
    Thank you for your answers. Sure helps me a lot. My house is located in Northern and I'd like to buy the transformer in Canada or USA before I go back. Where would I be able to order the transformer? Any suggestion? What would be the minimum wattage of the transformer that you would advise me to buy?
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2010, 06:11 AM
    Transformers, even small ones, are very heavy. Paying the freight on the weight may be expensive, as transformers are nothing but a solid block of steel and copper.

The size transformer will depend on the amount of power needed at 110 volts.

Since according to the power utility the voltage in the Philippines is 220 volts, and 220 volts is not a standard voltage in North America, a 220 volt to 110 volt transformer would be a special order if one can be found.

I attached a page from a popular American manufacturer. It will show the sizes and weights of a simple single phase unit.

To size a unit, need to know how much load, in amps or wattage.

At 110 volts if you needed say 30 amps, you need a unit rated at least 3300 watts, or VA. The smallest unit ACME has is 7.5 KVA and it weighs 100 pounds.

There is a fair amount of detail I did not get into.

How much load will you have? Need this to size the unit.

I am still of the opinion of buying the proper size and voltage unit you need once you get there.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Page_18.pdf (25.5 KB, 234 views)

Nov 5, 2010, 07:55 AM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    Thanks again tk!
    I planned to only sub-wire the house with 110v for using computers, kitchen & bathrooms appliances, carpentry tools such as Drills, Bench & Skill Saws,compressors, etc. I wonder if 7.5 kva or 10kva would be ample for my needs
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2010, 04:10 AM
    I have to wonder also, you have quite a list of devices and appliances, and I do not know what the wattage of each might be, and how many you may need to operate at one time.

A transformer is not all that would be needed. A breaker panel will be needed for how ever many circuits will be needed. I am not sure if the Philippine code requires one leg of the 220 volt to be grounded, if so, and even if not, I would recommend that one leg of your 120 volts be grounded.

This is not as simple as you may think. There are loads, overcurrent protection, short circuit protection, and grounding to be considered.

Nov 22, 2010, 07:47 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    I fully understand what are the additional needs. I planned to install a sub-panel for the 110v line. As far as the devices and appliances, I would imagine that I would not be using all the devices at the same time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Going from 220v to 110v [ 3 Answers ]

Exterior lighting.. i have 220v running my parking lot lights.. there is a small fixture running the light to a monument (sign). Someone broke this light and when it was replaced it was with a 110v unit. It keeps blowing the light.. i tested it and it is 220v to the monument. There is a blk/wht and...

110v vs 220v [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 220v line run from my house to an outside spot. The line was originally used for a lake pump which has been removed. I would like to extend that power line to 2 new outside outlets. Both outlets may be used for either 110v or 220v devices. Can I use the already existing 220v line or is...

110v vs 220v [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a cell phone that requires for 220v that I bought from the philippines. Is it okay if I plug the charger to a 110v here in the u.s? Would it damage the cell if charger is plug to110v? Thanks for your help. Marcia

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

Is 220V better than 110V? [ 5 Answers ]

My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient. Would I see a savings on the electric bill? Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge. Could I just change the breaker and the...

View more questions Search