Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosemike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Replacing hose bib
    Hello Ask Me,
    I am in the process of replacing a hose bib on the outside of my house. The problem is, it won't unscrew without more force than I dare give it. (I'm trying to turn it counter-clockwise, by the way. Is that correct?) I'm afraid of kinking the copper pipe inside the house and creating a real problem. I can't access the pipe inside the house due to a finished ceiling and ceiling heat. Any suggestions you could give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

M. Rose
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Aug 14, 2007, 05:14 PM
    You're going to have to open a hole in the ceiling, find the mating fitting, and put on a backup wrench - lest you will twist the pipe.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Hmm, why are you having to replace the bib? If it is a leak, some can be repaired. Simply cut off the water supply, disassemble, repair, reassemble, turn on the water and test.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 15, 2007, 07:46 AM
    How you replace the hose bib will depend upon how it was installed, by a solder or threaded joint. You must first determine this. I would follow Mowermans advice and try to repair before replacing. Do you need instructions on how to repair a hose bib? Regards, Tom
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rosemike
    Hello Ask Me,
    I am in the process of replacing a hose bib on the outside of my house. The problem is, it won't unscrew without more force than I dare give it. (I'm trying to turn it counter-clockwise, by the way. Is that correct?) I'm afraid of kinking the copper pipe inside the house and creating a real problem. I can't access the pipe inside the house due to a finished ceiling and ceiling heat. Any suggestions you could give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

M. Rose
    They don't unscrew. They are soldered then attached with screws to the wall. You have to get to the other side. There are hose bibs that are not designed to freeze so you may decide to replace with one of these.

Depending on what's wrong, you can reface the valve seat and possibly replace the stem. Cracks could be a real problem.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Take a look here:

Hose bib

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing and replacing a soldered hose bib [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace a soldered hose bib on copper pipl, cac I heat it and pull it off or must I cut it off

Leaking antisiphon hose bib [ 3 Answers ]

I have a severe leak under lthe grey cap of lmy antisiphon hose bib. Can this be fixed, or do I have to replace the whole hose bib?

Hose bib [ 1 Answers ]

I have a soderd hose bib coming off a tee from the main out front - how do I replace it?

Hose bib freeze resistant [ 2 Answers ]

How is a freeze resistant hose bib constructed. How does it work. Relates to outdoor hose bib

Hose Bib installation in wall [ 1 Answers ]

I'm remodeling a house and wondering if there is a way to install an external hose bib inside a 2x4 wall. On one of them I just need cold water. The other one, I'd like to do hot and cold with a mixer valve of some sort. I have exposed walls and already have the water line in the wall (I'm using...

View more questions Search