Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Britney Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Auto accident
    Hi,

My son was a passenger in a car that was involved in a rollover accident. The paramedics were shocked he survived. I am concerned about him. He is having post traumatic stress symptoms and aches and pains. Where/who can I go to find out his rights and the process I am to follow. The driver immediately admitted fault and there was no other vehicles involed. However the driver is now treating my son very badly and telling him to "get over it". I am paying medical bills out of pocket and am having a hard time getting him back in a vehicle (he is even afraid of the school bus).

If I posted this in the wrong area I apologize. :o

Thank you for the help!

Concerned mom
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Dec 20, 2006, 08:21 AM
    There should be any number of lawyers in your area that will offer free consultation for an injury accident. Call one and setup an appointment. If cost is a concern, there are many that will only receive pay if they win a settlement.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2006, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Britney
    Where/who can I go to find out his rights and the process I am to follow. If I posted this in the wrong area I apologize. :o

Thank you for the help!
    Hello Britney:

This is absolutely the right spot for your question.

Apparently, the other driver had no insurance... Did you ask? Did the driver get a ticket?? If the driver is a minor, have you spoken with his parents?

You need to hire an attorney for your son. You can hire one on a contingency basis. That means it won't cost you a dime unless you (your son) wins. If you spend an hour or two on the phone shopping for one, you'll learn a great deal about your sons rights and the process. Plus, you should be able to find one you can work with.

Tell you son, NOT to talk with driver about the accident any more.

excon

Dec 20, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Thank you for the advice.

Hello excon :)

I was having a hard time getting any information about insurance from the drivers parents. I just returned from the police station with the accident report. It has the insurance information I need. I am not sure if the driver was sited...

I plan to contact a lawer this afternoon. Do you have any advice on how I know when I find one that we can work with?

I will tell him not to discuss the accident any more.

Thank you again,
    Concerned mom
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2006, 10:03 AM
    I would ask around for recommendations. Friends,relatives, neighbors, etc. You don't want an ambulance chaser, but you do what one familiar with accidents.

You say you are paying your medical bills out of pocket? Don't you have medical insurance? If so, they should be covering the bills and you should be reporting to them the care is the result of an accident and give them the driver's insurance info. Your carrier will then submit the claims to his insurance.

Remember EVERYTHING related to recovery from this accident is reimbursable. Your time and mileage to and from the doctors, etc.

You also need to consider that it may take a while to recover. If you decide to settle, you need to make sure it will provide for future expenses.

Dec 20, 2006, 10:10 AM
    No he does not have medical insurance. The doctors office will not accept a third partys insurance, that is why I have to pay out of pocket. I was told to submit itemized bills to the drivers insurance co. They have no time frame for me to be reimbursed. :(

It is all very confusing and I am trying to research what the right thing would be for me to do in my sons best interest.

How do I figure "future expenses"?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Hello again Britney:

Not really. Shop several, though. I think you'll be able to tell. Some act arrogant. Some act as though you work for them. Some won't return phone calls. Some don't explain squat, and some just aren't very good. Just look for a guy/girl you can talk to.

You can ask for references. Although that might breech some confidentially, I think a good lawyer would have at least one or two happy clients available to honk their horn.

Returning phone calls are my biggest gripe about lawyers, so I would ask about his policy. Keep in mind that you're paying his hourly rate ($150 - $300/hr) to discuss your case, and you can't afford too much of that. If you find the right guy, he'll keep you informed as necessary, and you won't have to keep calling. Some clients need their hands held, and attorneys don't have time for that. Don't do that. Tell him you won't, and in return, tell him you expect a return phone call.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2006, 10:46 AM
    You said "he" doesn't have med insurance. Is the he your son? Why don't you have coverage? You should have family coverage.

Yes you will have to submit itemized bills, but if you are going to hire a lawyer let them advise you on doing so. Just have all the itemized costs ready.

To figure future expenses enlist the doctor's advice. But again, this is part of the attorney's job.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 20, 2006, 10:49 AM
    I am wondering why the driver's insurance does not cover this. His insurance should be covering all medical expenses should they not?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto accident [ 5 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident last month, my car was totalled. It was not my fault, this lady cut in front of me. Her insurance paid for my car (Kelly blue book price) and also paid the registration of my new vehicle. I went to the doctor with a neck and thumb strain, also I had some burns...

Auto accident [ 5 Answers ]

:( I was in a auto accident 6 months ago. I was hit by a drunk driver on a motorcycle. He ran a stop sign, and was driving on a suspended licence. I was injured (fractured ankle and whiplash). My Land Rover was repaired, (although it cost over $23,000) is there a way to figure out how much I...

Auto accident [ 6 Answers ]

Hi,yesterday I was parked my car in a walmart store parking lotand I was about to back up and leave I had checked my left side and it was clear to me to back up.and I don't know how I hit a car.the driver said that it was my mistake and she called the police to come and check that out.plce made a...

Auto Accident Help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was involved in an auto accident and I live in California. This is my first accident and I'm not sure what to do and what not to do. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks and here is my story. 8/19/06 I was sitting at a red light second car in line. The light turned green the car in front...

Auto Accident In Ny [ 4 Answers ]

Scenario: Woman takes prescription medicine before driving. She later dozes off at the wheel and wrecks rental car. She admits to the cop she fell asleep.She is not charged with driving while impaired and goes and seeks medical care from her doctor for her injuries. She has now been told the...

View more questions Search