Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    varkhedkar_n Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 02:07 AM
    rebate on amount paid for repayment of housing loan
    Mr X purchased a house jointly with his wife. For purchase of house he has taken a loan in joint names with wife. Loan repayment is being done by Mr. X alone from his account. If wife of Mr X isnot willing to take benefits of repayment in income tax, is Mr X alone eligible to take the whole benefits under section 24 and under section 80 for the said loan ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Assuming they are both equally liable for payment of the loan, if they file separately, each must claim HALF of the interest on their Schedule A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repayment of 401k loan [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of leaving my job. I am 100% vested in my 401k plan. I currently have a loan on it and have been paying it back every pay period but still owe on it. If I roll over my 401k do I still owe on the loan? Thanks in advance for the help

Income tax rebate on housing loan. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know what is the income tax rebate that I can get On the housing loan. I have recently bought a property and took housing loan for the same. The property is in the form of Two 1 Bhk Flats adjacent to each other which I wish to join together later. So on what princiapal and...

Deduction of Housing Loan [ 1 Answers ]

Can Pre EMi for housing loan is eligible for deduction.

Income tax rebate on housing loan [ 2 Answers ]

I have taken housing loan from my office in the yr.2002 for flat under construction.I have already started deduction from my salary for the above loan.I have taken possession of the above flat in the current yr 2007. Shall I get income tax benefits for the accrued int.ffrom theyr 2002.If yes or no...

Loan Repayment [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I hope I can get some good advice on this site as I am a new user. I loaned $1000.00 to a person that said he would pay me that coming Monday, that was 6 months ago. I have received $200.00 from a check that he gave and I have a copy of the check and I also have a copy of the check that I...

View more questions Search