Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bohead Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Summons via USPS Mail California Debt
    Hello,
    I was recently served a summons by mail for past credit card debt. On the outside of the 9x13 envelope wasn't any return address just my name, address & PC postage it almost looked like bulk mail. Thank goodness I didn't toss it. The PC postage produced stamp said it was from So. Cal. and I live in the SF bayarea (the attorneys suing also in bayarea).
    When I opened the envelope it was a copy of the summons and a terrible copy at that, I could barely read it. I thought this was weird and where's the original? Since this was a Friday afternoon I waited till Monday and called the court. When I called on Monday I spoke to a lady she looked up the case and said that ---- (a guy) signed for it. I told her that this wasn't anyone who lived at this address nor was it my neighbors. I wanted the original! Come to find out this ---- (guy who she said signed for it) was actually the person who mailed it (the original). The original came the following week (Wednesday I think). When I received the original summons it was in a plain white #10 envelope with my name and address handwritten, no return address and PC postage from San Jose, Ca. Again, looked like bulk.
    The original summons that I received states that the Service of Summons date is 5 days after mailing. Is this correct?? I thought it was 10 days after mailing. Can you please let me know if it is 5 or 10 days? If it is 10 then what form should I fill out? Or do I speak with the suing attorneys (the biggest slimeballs Eskanos & Addler)? An extra 5 days would be great! Or maybe I will hire an attorney and owe a little more.
    OH! I found out why I received the original summons later... because on the handwritten address the zip code was not completely legible. I know this because of the orange marks on the opposite side of the envelope.
    I have a feeling these slimey attorneys wanted me to just toss these envelopes. I also think that someone wrote like a minor on purpose and made sure that one of the numbers in the zipcode wasn't quite perfect.
    I do know its official court documents because I checked with the county offices.
    Please is it 5 days or 10 days once summons is mailed?
    Thanks so much!
    bohead
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 09:28 PM
    All sounds kind of hokey and unprofessional. A summons would be from the court and it would be an original and you would have no doubt it was actually a summons.

A few years ago I received something like that and at the bottom it said in small print 'your actual summons will look like this', give me a break.

As for the time, done know that because I live in Ontario, so won't be the proper information for you.

I would hire an attorney and save yourself the actual headache you would get from these people should you do it on your own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons for 10 yr old c.c. Debt [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received a summons for (2) credit cards that were charged off in 1998. The total is approx. $3200 and there was no activity on either account for 7 yrs. In 2006 my wife, unknowingly started to make payments on a collection notice sent to us from Asset Acceptance. They had called and...

Summons for Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I have received a summons (the law office taped to my door this morning) in response to a debt from when I was in college from Chase Manhatten Bank. The origonal amount I owed was around $1500 but this was years ago and I've moved several times so now it's @ $3500. The law firm had been calling my...

More questions- re: summons on debt [ 1 Answers ]

First, you don't call them. You respond to the court that issued the summons with your intent to defend. You then send a copy of that response to the plaintiff. In the cover letter you request verification of the debt and their right to collect it. You can indicate that, if they can verify the...

Summons for old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in court for an old credit card debt (I think my last payment was in 2000 or 2001). The SOL in the state in which I resided at the time has expired. How do I prepare myself for court? Or, does the plaintiff have to prove their case? Any help is appreciated! ...

View more questions Search