Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    criss30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Landlord is Discriminating against me and my partner
    I recently moved in a place with my partner, not long after I moved into this two bedroom I was awarded full custody of my daughter who is 15 and she is currently living with me. The landlord come over early one morning ranting and raving about how he was evicting me because I had "boys" over and they said no boys allowed in this house. Considering I am gay and these boys are friends of my family I was appalled. I did have a few more vehicles over then normally and when he threatened to have them towed, I did moved them. I think once he discovered I was gay he went ballistic! What are my rights? What can I do to avoid further harassment from this simpleminded person! This is regarding landlord tenant laws in the storm struck state of Mississippi!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2006, 02:40 PM
    To the best of my knowledge a landlord cannot prohibit members of one sex or another as a visitor in a dwelling in any state. I would go to him and let him know that if he is prepared for the battle of a lifetime you will get the Attorney General and any other law enforcement organization on him and pursue it with vigor.

If you are a peaceful resident who pays rent on-time then he should be happy to have you.
    criss30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 03:53 PM
    Thanks rick I have typed up a letter to be sent first thing in the mornig to the landloard letting him know we are not imtimedated by him because we are women and asking him to put a halt to the insinuations against us before we are forced to take further actions against him
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 25, 2006, 07:12 PM
    You might find this page:

http://www.hud.gov/complaints/housediscrim.cfm

Helpful. Also this page:

http://realestate.findlaw.com/tenant...ientation.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 25, 2006, 07:29 PM
    A landlord can limit many things, and one thing if the daughter is not listed on the lease ( assuming you have a written lease) you would now have more residents in the home.

I often rent to couples with specific names listed. If anyone else moves in I have the option of changing them more rent for more residenents or evicting them. Most landlords have these clauses in their leases to keep from having 14 people living in a 2 bedroom ( I had that happen before I started using leases)

Next while it is discrimination I am not sure that all states have laws about discrimination on life style choices. While I look at the main issues (green of the money) when I do rental property and are more concerned over credit history. But just a point that discrimination is only illegal if it is for a protected class of people.

I could not rent to red hair people if I want to, just refuse to rent to people with red hair, would it be discrimination, yep, illegal, no.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Sep 26, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Unless you are in a state that has "gay" as a protected class and if you want to keep your home, keep the vehicle count DOWN as well as your blinds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a partner [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a house with a partner. Both names are on the deed. She has not met her end of the financial responsibility. How can I evict her or sell the property. The loans are in my name.

My teens do not like my partner [ 17 Answers ]

I feel hopeless, my kids have virtually pushed my partner out of their lives and mine. Now I have to sneak around to see her. What should I do? Should I stop seeing this person that I love, just because my teenagers have told me so? I am very confused... yoyokerk:( :( :(

Kids don't like new partner [ 4 Answers ]

What do you do if your kids 16 and 14 do not want you to date. What if they absolutely do not want you to date one particular person, and you are madly in love?:( :( :(

My partner has a problem! [ 11 Answers ]

Ok - this is a really delicate subject which I need to help my boyfriend with - but I am not sure how to. My boyfriend is having problems when it comes to sex - and he is unable to actually go all the way. The foreplay is great - but for some reason he cannot actually go any further. I am not...

View more questions Search