Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamrena Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 02:51 AM
    Bath room in basment
    I need to know how hard is it to put a bath room in the bastment and about how much it should cost??
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2008, 04:58 AM
    Can't give you the cost. Too may variables but we are talking in the thousands To install a bathroom group the floor will have to be jackhammered up and the underground drainage installed. Then the floor will have to be patched and a vent will have to be ran from the basement out the roof or revented back to a dry vent in the attic. This will be a major addition to your home. Will you be doing the work yourself? Regards, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Hi Tamrena:

All depends... Is your main sewer drain line exiting the house below your concrete floor? Or does it exit the building 5 feet off the floor?

If sewer pipe in floor... that is good. You will not have to depend upon a sewage ejector/macerator pump to eject the sewage UP into the main drain line.

If sewer pipe is off floor for more then 1 foot, will need to install a sewage ejector pump/pit system. Or could install the saniflo macerating pump system. Check out these tow websites for more information:

Saniflo macerating toilets: install a bathroom in the basement or any small space

Zoeller Pump Company ...manufacturer of submersible sump pumps for dewatering, effluent, sewage and grinder applications, home improvement products, and pump sizing software.
    Click on zoeller PUMPS, then on PRODUCTS at upper right, then on SEARCH PRODUCT button, then on package systems and basins.

These are both very reliable systems... both have advantages and disadvantages.

Then after that is established (sewer, sump pump/pit/macerator pmp) you will need to have: floor jackhammered, pipes (and/or ejector installed underground/floor patched with concrete, vents installed for the bathroom plumbing fixtures, water pipes installed, electrical installed, stud walls and insulation installed, plaster walls installed, tiles/vinyl installed, wood trim/door installed, and a fan installed. The bathroom will need to have ceiling , walls, wood trim primed and painted (2 coats). You will also need to purchase the plumbing and electrical fixtures/switches... and I am sure I forgot some things:

Without knowing which system you will need.. if any... and without knowing how much of this you are going to do yourself and how much you intend to pay for fixtures (that will make a big difference in overall prices).. hard to say how much a basement bathroom will cost you.

Prices in Boston range from $8-10,000 to $20,000 or more if people want to be nuts!

Hey check out the sites, get back to us if you think we can help more... Mark

HEY TOM... Beat me by 1 minute this time.. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remodelling the bath room [ 3 Answers ]

I want to do some remodelling to the bathroom of the 1986 home I just bought. I think I can replace the toilet myself. Does anyone know how difficult that is. As for the shower. I need a new bathtub and shower. It looks stained and resembles a bathfitter bathroom and it doesn't have that...

Bath room sink stub out [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom sink drain stub out is 1 1/4" and my new drain pipe for the sink is 1 1/4" how do I connect them? Or do I change out the stub out to something different? Thanks, RD

Basement Bath Room Group [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to install a toilet in my basement, approximately 11 feet from the main sewer line. The main sewer line is 3 inches in diameter, there is a 1/12 inch vent line coming from the laundry sink drain line, My question is do I need to to vent the toilet? If I do can I tie into the 1/12...

Vent for basement bath room [ 7 Answers ]

I want to install a bath room with toilet, tub/shower and sink in my unfinished basement. There are three pipes combing from ground. But there is not vent combing down from the basement roof. Also, I have three contractors looked at my basement. I got confused with what they said. The...

View more questions Search