Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mheimbach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Requesting an additional security deposit in new lease
    My tenant has damage exceeding their current security deposit and I want to know if it is legal to have the tenant sign a new lease, listing the damages and repair/replacement cost and then requiring an additional security depoist for the new lease?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Why not just have the tenant pay to repair the damages? If they refuse, then you evict them.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Sep 4, 2007, 08:35 AM
    The tenant is in most place required to pay to fix things as they break them the security deposit is just for when they move out. For example I had a tenant break a sliding glass door. The door was fixed as soon as possible and the cost to fix it was on the tenants next months bill. The tenant paid for their rent and the cost to replace the door that month and the security deposit was left completely intact.

If your tenant is doing that much damage why would you sign a new lease with them?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Hello m:

At the expiration of the current lease, you are free to do anything you want, including NOT renewing it, and/or upping the rent and deposit. You can certainly enter the premises and fix the damage, deduct it from their deposit and require them to replenish it.

If the lease hasn't expired, you can evict them if they've caused damage.

But, LISTING the damage in a new lease doesn't do a thing. They've ALREADY agreed to pay for it. I don't know about you, but if I had a tenant that destroyed my property, I wouldn't let him CONTINUE to destroy it.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No lease. Security deposit debacle. [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so I've been living in a room I found on Craig's List for the past 6 months. With no lease. One of my room mates is the lease holder and we pay him rent, which he in turn pays the landlord. It turns out he's been overcharging us to the extent that he actually makes a profit when rent is due. To...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Landlord agrees to breaking Lease, now refusing to pay security deposit back [ 1 Answers ]

My Landlord told she'd never hold me to the lease if I ever wanted to move out. All I needed was to give a 30-day notice. Which is what I did and by the end of February I moved out. I have emails where my landlord agrees with breaking lease and further states that I'd be getting my security deposit...

Paid security deposit did not sign lease [ 7 Answers ]

I need to get accurate advice on my rights. I applied for an apartment and was accepted. The complex has a waiting list and I have had to wait for 2 months for the apartment to open up. I was required to give a $480 security deposit on receipt of the approval letter and have not yet signed the...

View more questions Search