Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmarieceb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2013, 04:53 PM
    Dog has deep wound from clippers
    Allowed my friend to shave my dog. Worst idea ever.
    She nicked him good. I been cleaning the wound & covering
    It with gauze. A few days later it was closed & seemed fine.
    I noticed he's been limping & I'm guessing it's infected. The emergency clinic charges $210 plus diagnosis & medication. Not to mention labor day tomorrow. It wouldn't be until Tuesday I could get him to our regular vet. Is there anything I can do until then? Please & thank you
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 1, 2013, 05:11 PM
    Have you used anything to clean the wound? Does it look puffy or infected in that area ?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 2, 2013, 11:40 AM
    Where is the wound? And how deep was the cut?
    Even seemingly healed wounds can be infected and form an abscess that will eventually rupture.
    A lot of the outcome of the wound will depend on how deep it actually damaged tissue. I've seen clippers do some pretty nasty damage, especially the blades with the larger teeth designed to leave a little length to the cut.
    When you consider how a dogs skin is designed, verses human it's easy to see how an abscess can form. Dogs have large areas of open space under the skin referred to as subcutaneous space leaving lots of room for bacteria to grow.
    So if your friend actually cut through the layers of the skin you may have an opening into the subcue space, the limping could be from either an abscess or the pain of the cut itself.
    Of course, I can't say with certainty that your dog has an abscess, no one here can.
    But I would urge you to take him in and have it checked out, unchecked infection can reek havoc.
    In all honesty, if it is not an open wound at this point cleaning it may be of little value, he needs antibiotics and possible draining and flushing of the wound.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2013, 03:57 PM
    In all honesty your dog is not dying and doesn't need immediate attention. I think you will be fine in waiting until Tuesday do go to the vet.

For the mean time, just keep the wound dry and covered.
    kmarieceb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2013, 11:36 AM
    Thanks people. It was actually not even the cut. He had a nutritional fracture & is low on calcium. He was put in a splint & is taking pet vites. I'm praying he won't have any medical issues later. The vet thinks he may have been taken away from the mom to early.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Thank you for the follow up. Most times we have no idea what actually happened after a OP doesn't come back for awhile. Im glad it was nothing serious.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 12:42 PM
    Thanks for the update, I'm glad you got him sorted out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open wound dog [ 13 Answers ]

My dog has an open wound in the face, near her eyes, almost including her eyes in the wound. It is oblong with about 1 inch wide. The flesh could already be seen. The wound had been there for months and there are no signs of drying up. Sometimes pus could be seen on the wound and the dog licks it,...

Dog Wound Infected, Not Healing [ 5 Answers ]

My Shetland sheepdog has a wound on her left shoulder blade. At first I thought it was a dog wound because when I had quickly pulled her away from fighting with another one of my female dog. (Domination, I know gets bad when one of the females is coming in heat, but, that's not the subject.) When I...

Wound in dog that won't heal. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a spitz pomerian whose 16 years old since the last 2 months he's having a deep wound and I think that is maggot! I took him to the vet little late :( over there he was given 4 injections and prescribed turpentine oil now after applying turpentine oil the dog is screaming and crying it raises...

Dog clippers [ 2 Answers ]

We have a dog with long, coarse, thick hair. What is a good set of clippers that will cut her hair relatively short (1/2 inch or so) and quickly?

Dog toe nail clippers [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to sharpen these? Mine are only a few months old and haven't been used that much; However, they are dull and cracking the edges of my dogs nails instead of giving a clean cut. This is a pic of the one I have. I bought it at petsmart - I'm also wondering if it's just poor quality? ...

View more questions Search