Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dozer0275 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2010, 02:25 PM
    I have three white and three black wires out of my ceiling how do I wire a light
    I have three white and three black wires out of my ceiling how do I wire a light
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 02:42 PM

Not all wiring is the same, you need to speak to an electrician, for safety.

Best to leave it to the expert... stay safe
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 04:08 PM

If you have three blacks and three whites, you have three cables. A cable is two or more wires in an outer covering. One cable brings power into the box. Another cable takes power to the next light of outlet. The third cable takes power to the switch and brings it back.

You must first determine which cable does what. The most efficient way to do this is with a meter. If you don't have a meter, with the power off at the circuit panel, disconnect every thing. Put wire nuts on each wire.
    Connect the black and white of the light to a black and white wire (in the same cable) in the box. Turn power on and see if light burns.

If it burns you have located the power in cable. If it doesn't burn, turn power off and move light to another cable.

After you have identified the cable bring power to the box you must identify the cable that goes to the switch.

Leave the white wire from the light connected as is. Disconnect the black. Connect the black of the cable you have identified as the power in cable, to one of the other blacks. Connect the black from the light to the white of that same cable. Turn power on and see if the switch makes the light come on and go off. If it does you have found the cable going to the switch. If it does not the remaining cable is the cable going to the switch.

Put a piece of black electricians tape on the white wire of the cable going to the switch.

Connect the white wire of the switch cable (with the black tape) and the black wires of the other two cables together with a wire nut. Connect the black wire from the light to the remaining black wire, which is in the cable going to the switch. Connect the white wire from the light and the two remaining white wires together with a wire nut.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 white wires, 3 black wires on ceiling: switching from ceiling fan to light [ 20 Answers ]

We are trying to replace a ceiling fan with an overhead light. We took down the fan and now have 3 white wires and 3 black wires in the ceiling and are not sure how to wire the light which has 3 white wires and 3 black wires. We tried to connect all whites together and all blacks together. The...

My ceiling fan has black, white, and a black/white wire? [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with this combination of wires? I am trying to change out ceiling fans in my living room. From ceiling box I have: a black wire, and a white wire, and no ground From the fan w/ light kit I have: a black wire, white wire, and a black w/ while stripe wire, and no...

Connecting red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wir [ 2 Answers ]

How to connect red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wires

How do I wire a switch with pilot light with 1 black, 1 white, and 1 ground wire? [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced an outdoor outlet controlled by an interior switch with a Cooper gfci outlet and it tested fine. Then I replaced the existing switch with a Cooper switch with pilot light. The switch has one line coming into it with one white(hot), one black(neutral), and one ground. When I connect...

3 black wires, one white in light box [ 22 Answers ]

3 black wires are twisted together and connected to the blue and black on the old ceiling fan. The one white is connected to the one white on the fan. Have tried connecting these wires many different ways for a new remote controlled fan but no luck . This is a very old house with old wiring (I have...

View more questions Search