Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john b Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 04:20 PM
    Electrical outlets not working
    I was updating a rental property that I recently purchased and decided to replace the outlets and light switches as they had been painted over many times. Out of the 15 outlets I changed, four are not working and I have no idea why. A couple of them (the ones that are not working) are connected to switches. Any idea what the problem might be? I have checked and rechecked the wiring and everything seems to be okay.

Also, in one of the closets there is an outlet on the ceiling. Can I convert the outlet to a light with a pull string.

Thank for the help
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Wiring for switches controlling outlets can be a bit confusing, but all I can assume is you put the wiring back exactly as found. One thing most people are not aware of, is a controlled oultet is usually split, one half is on all the time, an one half is switched. Look between the two brass screws on the "hot' side of the outlet, you will see a small "jumper" that needs to be cut or pried out when the outlet is half switched. This will leave one hot wire on one half of the outlet, and a switced wire on the other half.

I think not removing this jumper on the "switched" outlets is your problem. If not get back and let us know what you found.

Sure the outlet can be converted over to a pull string fixture, just remember that no bare incandescent lamps can be located in a closet.

See this previous post for more detail:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...set-54306.html
    john b Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 05:26 PM
    tkrussell... thanks for the great advice. I went back and looked at my work but everything looked okay. I checked the circuit breaker thinking that maybe I accidentialy tripped a switched. No luck. Finally I went out a bought a voltage/meter tool, only to find out I inadvertently hooked up the switches wrong... put both hot wires on one switch and the two negatives on the other. As soon as I corrected my error it was like magic, everything worked.

Regarding the outlet in the closet, thanks for that advice. I bought an inexpensive ceiling light with pull string (bulb covered with glass fixture) and installed it.

Thank you very much

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlets not working! Help! [ 13 Answers ]

Hi... I came home today and the outlets in our bonus room aren't working. I checked the breaker and nothing was tripped. Then I went searching for the GFI outlets. All of them were fine except the one in the bathroom nearest the bonus room. Here is the issue: On that outlet, the power...

Electrical Outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have two outlets in my bathroom that supports a washer and dryer. One out is a reset outlet and the other is a normal standard outlet. I replaced both and only the reset outlet is working. How come the standed outlet has no power? The white and black wires are connected correctly.

Outlets not working, idiot needs help [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, we have a rather new house (3 years) and one day the outlet on our kitchen island stopped working. I checked the other outlets around the kitchen and found out that there was another one that was not working. After asking around I was told to check the following things in this order:...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I posted a question a couple months ago about some outlets that aren't working in my house. I have done some further investigating and here is what I know as of now. The outlets that do not work are all on the same circuit - with the exception of one which is outside in the backyard. I have...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a new home and it seems that some of the outlets in our house have stopped working since we've moved in. They are just regular outlets in the living room and also the outside outlets are not working. Is this a problem for a licensed electrician or is there something I can do to fix...

View more questions Search