Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tibucky Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Life Estate vs Death Date House Inherited
    My wife and her two sisters inherited their farther's house and no will was left.
    Their farther remarried after their mother died about 25 years ago. The farther died 12 years ago with no will. The sisters agreed to a life estate with the stepmother until she moved or died. She moved out of the house in November 2005. The sisters sold the house July 2007. My question is what date do we use for tax purposes? The house was in the stepmothers name until she moved in 2005. I would think the date for taxes would have to be the date the stepmother moved out and signed the house over to the sisters. Please let me know your thoughts.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 09:03 AM
    The date the sisters took over the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the house inherited property? [ 6 Answers ]

My mother passed in May leaving my brother and I both executors and beneficiaries of her estate. It turns out, without either of our knowledge, she changed her deed to make herself, myself, and my brother "joint tenants with survivorship" This transfer was made in March 2003 and she passed in May...

Inherited House Tax [ 10 Answers ]

My wife and brother-in-law inherited their late father’s house. He willed 50% to each. The house value at the time of his death was $244K (tax assessment). The house had an $86K mortgage, which was paid off out of the estate assets. My wife and I are very well off so she decided to “sell” her...

Taxes on sale of inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?

Inherited house 3 sisters [ 2 Answers ]

3 sisters inherited mother's house - no mortgage. 1 sisters wants to buy and live in the house. Another sister is willing own 1/3 of house but not live in the house. The sister who will live in the house will buy out the third sister. Question is the sister who owns 1/3 of the house - what taxes is...

View more questions Search