Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binky1525 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 09:26 PM
    How do I stop this
    My mother owed the social security admin in 1999 for something I was unaware of . I lived on an off with her from age 14 and when I filed my taxes in 2000 ssa took them and have been taking them ever since they never informed me of why how much they want or how much I've paid since the start this is not my debt I am only 29 and have been paying for 7 years since my child was born I don't understand how my mothers debt can be allowed to affect my child's life and financial stability and she's been dead for five years:(
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 09:42 PM
    You need to contact the social security office about this issue. You should be able to go to a local office in your area to have them investigate this issue for you.

Find out if benefits were paid to your mother using you or your social security number... for periods that you did not live with her.

Your social security number might be associated with the claim against her so it might be in your best interest to express your concern over the matter to them.

Be sure to state that you were a minor if the debt stems from that time, show proof of your mother's death, and ask for a redetermination on the issue. I don't know if you will have any success or not with them, but you might be able to get something back... or at least find out a dollar amount that they are holding you responsible for.

If the payments were issued to your mother, for you... that may be the reason they are holding you responsible. I don't know if your age at the time will impact the results or not.

Also ask for an accounting of all tax refunds that have been ceased by them on the account to show that it has reduced the obligation. Also ask about any statutes of limitations on any restitution amounts that they are claiming.

I hope you'll repost with updates to let us know how things go for you in this process.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 03:24 PM
    First off you need to contact the SSA and find out why they are doing this. They aren't suppose to intercept your taxes without notifying you in some fashion. They normally intercept then tell you why they have done so. It may be entirely different from what your telling us as to what is really going on if they haven't told you why. If your ss# was stolen then that is when they would take it also and either keep it or give it to some one else. You really need to start at square 1 and work your way out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't stop having sex.And I want to stop. [ 53 Answers ]

:( :( :( :( :( :( I hate myself so much. I feel so guilty... So trashy... Like a whore... I can't stop having sex with my boyfriend. We want to stop... But we arnt making any progress... I feel horrible... AND

How do I stop it? [ 3 Answers ]

I just wrote a long explanation and it logged me outRRRRRRRRR! I started about 7 months ago in paranormal research. Since then I have had activity in my home and last night my daughter said she felt someone tapping her foot with cold fingers. My 16 month old son wakes every hour crying. I have...

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

How do I stop it? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I stop brown spotting during ovulation? I took the pill for over 2yrs. It has been 1yr and 6mths since I stopped taking it and I am still having brown spotting before my period. How do I stop this? I need answers not more questions. How do I stop brown spotting during ovulation?

When will it stop? [ 1 Answers ]

Since August of last year, my fiancé and I have had the worst luck in the world. The day we move into our place, we were so excited, then when driving, I blew the turbo in my car. Then after I get a bladder infection (I hate using public restrooms and always held it, so nobody do what I do!)...

View more questions Search