Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wvumountee Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2005, 01:05 PM
    Spyware downloads
    How much better are the copies of Adaware that you have to pay for compared to the free version you can download online? Someone told me today that the free version online wouldn't hardly help you out at all. I downloaded my version from the internet and it works for me just fine.

The other person and I were debating about a co-workers home computer and how she can make it faster. I suggested downloading a firewall to keep most of the spyware from getting onto the computer and he claimed that the firewall would just slow the computer down more. This lady's computer is fairly new (within a year old) so would a firewall slow it down that much to where you can actually tell a difference?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2005, 01:19 PM
    A firewall shouldn't slow down a PC visibly. But it wouldn't do much to prevent spyware either. If the firewall was bi-directional, meaning it would block outgoing packets as well as incoming, it would prevent spyware from sending your info. But it would do little to prevent the spyware from being installed in the first place.

Lavasoft's website should detail what extra you get in the fee based version.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2005, 04:46 AM
    Spyware
    Hi,
    The VERY best spyware/advertising "stop" program is free. It stops stuff like this from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing "definitions" of spyware in the browser, integrating it with the Restricted Zone's area of Internet Explorer.

Since using this great little program, which can be also updated on a regular basis with "anti-spyware definitions", I have not had ONE single issue with my computer!

It's called Spyware Blaster 3.3, and you can download/install it from:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

AdAware is good also, but requires running a scan AFTER the computer is infected with spyware. I also use the free version of AdAware, but really do not need it now that I have Spyware Blaster.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Jun 10, 2005, 05:19 AM
    "Best" is a relative term. What is best for one may not be best for another. Also anyone labeling anything as best should clarify that rating by explaining how they arrived at the rating. If one has tried 3 of 15 products and labels one of those three "the best" can it really be best?

This is not a knock on Spyware Blaster, it may, indeed, be very good or even "the best". The last review I read of spyware utilities (PC Magazine about a year ago) listed AdAware and Spybot at the top. But it's a caution to helpers about using such descriptions without backing up the claim and a caution to askers about accepting such a claim without backup.

Personally I'm using Microsoft's solution (only for Win XP). Its allso a real time scanner so it blocks spyware before its installed. Since I've been using it I have had no issues with spyware and scans with other utilities have come up negative. Its also free.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2005, 07:16 AM
    Spyware blaster
    Hi,
    "Opinions" is a relative term.
    Spyware Blaster is not a scanner, does not have to be used to scan for Spyware. It detects spyware before it is allowed to get into the computer.
    It is the best free software for it's purpose. 3 out of 15?
    I am sure there are procedures for testing, verification, and comfirmation of tested results, verified by procedures such as ASTM procedures, but this is not practical for results such as this, nor is the American Journal of Medicine for disease volunteer answer sites.
    Please try the Spyware Blaster... it works.
    Best wishe,
    fredg
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 11, 2005, 10:23 AM
    Spyware blaster
    Ok so spyware blaster is good at stopping spyware getting in, but BOTH adaware and spybot have similar functions.

In Adaware its called Adwatch and spybot's is called Teatimer.
    Now I use Teatimer as it monitors your registry for any changes and warns you of this.

So in my opinion Spybot is the BEST as it has an ACTIVE scanner and a PASSIVE monitor all in ONE neat package.

And the best of all its FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Jun 12, 2005, 04:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    "Opinions" is a relative term.
    No, Fred. "Opinions" is not a relative term since it doesn't describe something comparatively. Opinions, however, can (and usually are) relative. Which proves my point. What one person's opinion of best is, might not fit another person's. I have no problem with someone saying something is the best as long as they qualify how they arrived at that rating. Its just being fair to the reader.

Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Spyware Blaster is not a scanner, does not have to be used to scan for Spyware. It detects spyware before it is allowed to get into the computer.
    It is the best free software for it's purpose. 3 out of 15??
    I am sure there are procedures for testing, verification, and comfirmation of tested results, verified by procedures such as ASTM procedures, but this is not practical for results such as this, nor is the American Journal of Medicine for disease volunteer answer sites.
    Please try the Spyware Blaster....it works.
    Best wishe,
    fredg
    ANY antispyware utility works by "scanning" files to detect whether its spyware or not. Whether it does it in real time as files are saved to the hard drive or it does it after the fact. If Spyware Blaster ONLY scans as files are saved, that's not enough In my opinion. You need to be able to do both (Which Microsoft's does).

I find it interesting, Fred, that you still fail to qualify how you arrived at the "best" rating you give Spware Blaster. Again, this is not a knock on it and I would agree its worth being given a try. But you (or anyone) needs to be careful about rating something "best" without backing up that rating. Anyone who really cares about helping members would do that.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2005, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Ok so spyware blaster is good at stopping spyware getting in, but BOTH adaware and spybot have similar functions.

In Adaware its called Adwatch and spybot's is called Teatimer.

Now I use Teatimer as it monitors your registry for any changes and warns you of this.

So in my opinion Spybot is the BEST as it has an ACTIVE scanner and a PASSIVE monitor all in ONE neat package.

And the best of all its FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!
    I have to agree, been using it since well... it was first shown on techtv.
    wvumountee Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2005, 10:29 AM
    ScottGem you don't like Fredg that much do you? I have read a few other threads that has you ripping him a good one... LOL. I agree that was a lousy answer considering I was asking if a firewall slowed the computer. I didn't ask about other software. Give him a break unless it is something insanely idiotic. I mean I don't have to follow what people tell me on here anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Video Downloads [ 4 Answers ]

When I download any type of video from the internet (e.g. music videos, movies), the quality when played seems to be bad. Are all videos supposed to be blurry because they are compressed? Is there any way to fix this? Will the quality be better once burned in a high quality format? Please help...

PurityScan... Spyware or nor Spyware? [ 5 Answers ]

On my computer this screen popped up and it said it was ready to install Purityscan wich I had no intention of installing. Sure it might be a good program, then again it might not be for the simple fact is that somehow it or something put a reg key on my computer. Normally I would know what it's...

Autoruns - spyware question, Delete spyware with "Autoruns", back again [ 3 Answers ]

I am using "autoruns", hoping to get rid of many spyware programs. I am attempting to manually remove some of the spyware (while not connected to internet) startup files along with corresponding registry file using "autoruns" . Problem is when I restart "autoruns" the spyware files have returned. ...

Music etc. Downloads [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in anyone's experience of downloading this unlimited service from:- http://www.radiohangout.com/133.html Is it worthwhile and genuine? George H.

Mp3 downloads [ 8 Answers ]

What's the best website to download Mp3 music?

View more questions Search