Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agarcia214 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 11:32 PM
    No water coming out of faucets but meter is running like crazy
    I am remodeling a vacant house, I just purchased and the water utilities company came out to turn water meter on and discovered that my water meter is running like crazy. There is no water coming out of the faucets inside the house anywhere. The house has been vacant for one year. What do you think is causing this. Where could the leak be? Any help is appreciated.
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 13, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Well, obviously there's a leak.

If you can't hear it in the house, and there's no water to be seen, then it must be between the house and the meter. Often, the ground will be very soggy/wet, and even have a "natural spring" coming up.

If it's been this way for a year, who knows what kind of erosion-path the water may have taken, but it's probably going into the nearest storm sewer somehow. If it's been shut off for a year, and the leak/rupture happened during that time, you'll probably have to let it leak for a little while in order to find it.

Call around and find a plumber who can listen for the leak... they use specialized listening equipment and can usually pinpoint the location pretty well.

In the meantime, you should turn the meter off, if you haven't already.

Good luck!
    ~aaron
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by agarcia214
    I am remodeling a vacant house, I just purchased and the water utilities company came out to turn water meter on and discovered that my water meter is running like crazy. There is no water coming out of the faucets inside the house anywhere. The house has been vacant for one year. What do you think is causing this. Where could the leak be? Any help is appreciated.
    The first thing you must do is locate the source of the leak. Close the house shut off and check the meter. Is the little pointer still running? If yes then the leak's between the meter and the house in the service line. Now open up the house stop. If the meter starts running then the leak's in the house system. Let me know what you find out. Good luck, Tom
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Jan 17, 2008, 03:08 AM
    My brothers had this problem at their house and it ended up being a combination of 2 new roommates doing laundry and an almost constantly running toilet. I came over and assessed the situation within an hour. I heard the toilet running, and when I was checking the water meter it jumped up real quick, and I went inside, and someone was washing clothes, so I brought up the fact that the combination of these two things could do it, and I was right!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water coming out of the hot water spigots of any faucets [ 3 Answers ]

We shut off all water valves & finally found the valve to the enrire house so shut off all water supply. Got a temporary fix then tried turn on all lines (counter clockwise) so we have cold running water but all hot lines are empty... I keep going through the lines ...

Odor coming from faucets in upstairs bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

In the past month, I notice that I have an odor and foul taste in the water coming from my upstairs bathroom faucets. All other faucets in house have no odor or taste problems.

Blower Running but no heat is coming out [ 4 Answers ]

My central heating and air unit stopped putting out warm air last night. I woke up freezing. The blower will still run but no warm air will come out. What steps do I need to take before calling a repairman?

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

Dirty Water Coming From Cold Faucets [ 2 Answers ]

Please help! Our house is about 105 years old. We just started noticing that all the cold faucets upstairs are dispensing dirty cold water. (The hot water faucets are fine.) This is affecting our toilet, bathtub, and sink. Downstairs faucets do not seem to be affected. My husband did...

View more questions Search