Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    veno23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2006, 03:19 PM
    New light in an old house
    Hi I am trying to install A new light fixture in my Apt. it has to be 100 years old or better. My question is the wires are the same color and there is no ground wire how do I know witch is witch I know the black is the hot and the white is neutral on my new light does it matter what wire hooks up to each other/ Thanks in advance
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2006, 03:33 AM
    Yes it does matter which wire of the fixture gets connected to the hot. If the socket gets miswired, the inner shell of the socket can become hot, instead of the small eyelet contact at the bottom, which is intended to be the live contact.

I attached a picture of a Voltage Proximity Tester. This type of tester allows voltage to be detected in a wire without actually touching the wire. These can be found at hardware stores, etc.

Separate the wires and wave the tester next to each wire, only one wire will have an effect on the tester.

If you already have a voltmeter with test leads, then all you can do is to run a temp wire to extend one of the test leads to a grounded surface, such as a faucet at a sink, a radiator,etc.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

Fan works but light doesn't. Fixed and now the light works but fan doesn't [ 9 Answers ]

While I was at college somehow my fan stopped working. There is absolutely no explination from anybody but my mom did get a replacement so I didn't care too much. The fan has a ground from the mount(copper), ground from the middle of the fan(copper), a hot for the light(blue), hot for the...

Hunter Bathroom Fan/Light question (older house) [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a new fan/light for my master bathroom, and was attempting to install it when I ran into a snag... The wiring described in the manual is black/white wires in the ceiling to black/white wires in the unit, etc, but the reality is that I have one red, one yellow, and one black wire in...

Bathroom fan/light: light works, fan doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

I'm back with more "finishing basement" questions. This weekend, I wired my bathroom. This is 20 amp service with 12 ga wire. For the bath fan/light, the power source came into the switch box (1 box, 2 switches) on a 12/2 wire. From there, power goes up to the light/fan on a 12/3 wire. Red goes...

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

View more questions Search