Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elmer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2005, 07:01 PM
    92 honda civic lx overheating
    My honda civic is overheating and water is bubbling into the overfill tank, and then leaking out. I already replaced radiator and thermostat and there seems to be no pressure from the lower radiator hose to the thermostat. The electric fan fails to come on when temperature is high. Replaced themosensor, and that didn't change fan. The fan runs when connected to a 12 volt power. Could it be fan relay, water pump. Or head gasket? There is a lot of steam pressure into the overflow tank when car overheats.

Thanks. elmer
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2005, 07:35 PM
    I am not familiar enough with Hondas to understand some of your details. The thermostat is near the lower radiator hose? Did you check the hoses when you changed the radiator? A bad hose can cut off circulation.

Does the exhaust have a sweetish smell? If so, it means coolant is leaking through a bad head gasket.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2005, 02:47 AM
    Most likely a thermostat, cheap and quick to fix. Or a collapsed hose. Depends on the model because some hoses have supports inside the hose, but I'm leaning mostly to the thermostat. The thermostat controls basically the flow and keeps the engine at a certain temp. now when they fail they are made to fail open so the coolent will flow continuously, but that overheats the engine after a coupl hours of driving, sometimes they stick closed and they stop all flow and the engine heats up very quickly, but its stuck open. Cheap 5 to either 7 dollar part most of the time if they are expensive. Or you could have put the thermostat in backwards. In that case you would not get crap considered to pressure. And if its your fans well, could be a relay to the thermosensor. Sometimes parts you get new are not always working. So have that checked as well.
    djpacmanuk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 10:06 PM
    I am having the same problem with my sisters honda... I have replaced the thermostat and sensor,but car still overheats after a few minutes of driving then starts to studder,I know that's due to the aluminum block swelling cause of heat but I can't find the original problem,if anyone has anymore ideas let me know... and no there isn't any colant in oil... only smokes a bit right at start!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Honda Civic CX overheating [ 7 Answers ]

We are having trouble with my daughter's car. It overheats in traffic but does not seem to on highway. We have checked the radiator level and filled it but after a short while it needs refilling but we cannot find a leak anywhere. We thought she might have blown the headgasket when it first...

92 Civic LX Overheating [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a 92 Civic 115k miles, runs great but overheats. Changed radiator, thermostat, relay and hoses. It appears that the fan does not turn on when idling or when I turn it off. When on the highway it runs cool. The mechanics can't find what's wrong. Could it be the sending unit? ...

93 Civic EX 4dr Check Engine Light, no codes, overheating [ 7 Answers ]

I own a 93 civic ex 4dr (all stock) and have had a check engine light problem with my vehicle ever since I got it back from the mechanic. The original problem was the main relay which I had figured and resoldered but the other problem behind it was the black/yellow cable going from the main relay...

Honda Civic 95 [ 5 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have a civic that every time I put the break the dashboard light comes on is that normal?

95 Honda Accord Overheating [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 95 Honda Accord that has been overheating. When you crank it and drive it a while, the temperature gauge rises and the car overheats. Neither of the fans will come on while the car is cranked (if the AC is not on). But when you turn the car off, the fans will come on. Please help....

View more questions Search