Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rodion Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
    Hey chaps! Is my poem any good? Please answer a poor down on his luck poet. Eh, eh?
    Staircase To the Sea

All is at peace,

And has likely been a recurrence

Of an emptiness, closely keeping,

That has been my unease-

And now near total silence has fallen

As half sunk galleons skirt the shores

Leaning like those partly drunk,

Upon new worlds-

And all drownings in this Sargasso sea

Are like the rise of birds through waves

Those constant revelations of descents

Like shrill broken whistles on the staircase

To the sea.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Sounds okay to me. What are you planning on doing with this poem?

Oct 20, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Send it to a contest or something in that vein. Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2011, 02:41 PM
    When I read it, I get more of a haunted, ghostly feeling rather than a peaceful one.

Oct 20, 2011, 02:44 PM
    But is it any good?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2011, 03:09 PM
    You mention "peace" but then give examples of ghostly stuff (emptiness, unease, half-sunk galleons, drownings, shrill broken whistles). All that gives lie to your first line. How about changing the first line?

Is it any good? I think it's confusing. What are you really trying to say? What mood are you trying to create?
    Moonbay Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Nov 4, 2011, 12:18 AM
    It doesn't matter what people think. All that matters is how you feel about it. If you like it the way it is then I say leave it. If you feel you need to change something then do it. It's your own art. Do what you will with it. Personally, I think it sounds good. I like haunting poems. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good luck Sneezy! [ 129 Answers ]

Well, he did it, he got on the plane and he's in the Caribbean to attend med school. It was tough going for a while, he called me during his two layovers and had some trouble once entering Granada, They lost his luggage and he has a warrant for his arrest in Atlanta because of an unpaid...

How is this poem I wrote? Guide me towards my dream of becoming a poet [ 9 Answers ]

LIFE We live our lives as if we are here till eternity, Failing to realize that life is under destiny's pity. We lead nothing but a materialistic life, Never having time to ponder what’s the true meaning of life . Life goes on and on and nobody cares,

Good Luck Sneezy! [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everyone, For those that don't know, our Sneezy aka ISneezefunny, is taking his MCATs tomorrow. Let's show him our support and wish him good luck for tomorrow, not that he needs it. :) Good luck Sneezy, you'll do great, we're behind you 100%, and we're so proud. :)

F(5)=? Good luck!1 [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: a buddy of mine likes to post hard math questions on his myspace page for others to solve. This one is tough please help. Question of the every-couple-days-or-so No. 5 Current mood: amused Category: Quiz/Survey Try this one! f(1)=4989484820458683 f(2)=9894848204586834

View more questions Search