Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imsurroundedbyfish Posts: 101, Reputation: 10

Jun 24, 2011, 08:48 AM
    Virus on my USB Stick which I can't get rid of!
    Please will someone help me!

I got a virus off a website the other day, which installed itself on my memory stick and corrupted loads of my files.
    When I realised I had corrupted files I scanned my computer with my anti-virus software "Sophos". It detected the virus and put it into "quarantine". I unplugged my USB stick at this point.

Since I don't have administrator rights on my computer I had to ring the admin and get them to clear the virus up from Sophos Quarantine. They did, and so the virus isn't on my computer, and can't do any damage any more.

But having plugged my UBS in after that, I found the virus files had just moved folders within my USB. They hadn't actually been deleted off my USB, just off my computer.

I immediately unplugged my USB stick, and having rescanned my computer I know the virus didn't transfer back to my computer this time (thank goodness).

However I have a massive problem in the fact that I now can't plug in my memory stick and use it without transferring the virus. It won't just let me delete the virus off the memory stick. I could possibly do it if I scan my computer with my USB plugged in, then get the virus back in quarantine and clean it up without removing the USB, but I don't really want to ring up the admin again. That would be the 4th time this week if I did.

Does anyone know any other way of getting rid of the virus?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2011, 09:33 AM
    I have a older Linux (Ubuntu) laptop that I keep off the network. I use it for dodgy stuff. In this case I would use it to format the USB key.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

USB Stick not working [ 1 Answers ]

Well, it was working OK yesterday but I plugged it into my laptop an hour ago and it doesn't light up and/or pop up on my screen to say that it has detected a new device. I have tried it on three other laptops and it doesn't work. I really need to know how to get it working again or to know how to...

Formatting My USB Stick [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know a question about formatting in general. I never format a removable storage device. So my question is: Would it help if I formatted all my usb sticks? And how would it help? I'm asking this because I lent my brother a usb stick a few days ago. After he plugged it into his...

USB Memory stick [ 3 Answers ]

I've used up two-thirds of my USB memory stick, but now it does not allow me to add more. The window says something about a write-on protection which I have to lift, but which I cannot find. Thanks.

USB stick is not working anymore [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, Before 2 month I bought USB Stick Sony MicroVault 2GB USM-J. It was normaly working. I never had any problems with stick on any operating system on different computers ( specially XP, and vista). Yesterday I copied large file and remove disk after several minutes. 10 hours later I...

USB stick not recognized [ 1 Answers ]

When I connect any USB stick to my PC , first it seems to be detected but afterwards a message 'Found new hardware' pops up, trying to recognize the stick but in vain. So?!

View more questions Search