Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kateden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 04:34 PM
    Workplace slander
    I work for a retail establishment where the Assistant Manager and 2 other employees were overheard making slanderous remarks about me. These comments were not made to my face but I do trust the person that heard them. What are my options?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kateden View Post
    I work for a retail establishment where the Assistant Manager and 2 other employees were overheard making slanderous remarks about me. These comments were not made to my face but I do trust the person that heard them. What are my options?
    For some reason, you posted in the "Criminal Law" sub-forum. Your options don't include criminal prosecution (assuming you are in the U.S). Slander and other forms of defamation are civil matters.

If you are able to prove that you have been damaged (lost money, etc.), you would possibly be able to sue for whatever that loss is.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 06:22 PM

Have you filed a complaint with the HR department
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 08:46 PM

Can you prove they said it, it was not true and it cost you something like a job or money? How to Prove Slander | eHow.com I doubt if this would consistute slander, maybe malicious gossip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slander in the workplace [ 3 Answers ]

I was working as a residential caretaker under the supervision of a house manager, she was vindictive towards others, did not know how to talk to them, but when I started I thought as long as I did my job I would not have this problems, but that did not last long do as she say or be taken of the...

Slander in the workplace [ 1 Answers ]

There is an intern that I use to work with. We were both interns until I became employed by the company. A rumor started about the intern and someone said I said it, which I did not. The intern then text messaged me; "I dont need this job remember, you do." and then another one stating; "And people...

Slander and Defamation in the workplace [ 4 Answers ]

We have an employee who has been making accusations against other employees. She accused one coworker of taking bribes from customers, and today accused two other employees of having an affair. In neither case are these accusations true. On the first instance, she was reported to HR, who did an...

Slander/defamation in the workplace [ 20 Answers ]

How much can I sue a company for slander/defamation by an employer

Privacy in the workplace [ 10 Answers ]

I work as an admin assistant in MA. Last week I called in because my daughter was sick and I needed to take her to the doctor(left my supervisor a message). When I returned to work the next day everybody is asking me how my daughter was doing, I just want to know is it legal for my supervisor to...

View more questions Search