Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthiap12 View Post
    she do accept them
    This statement says it ALL to me.
    Cynthiap12 Posts: 19, Reputation: -1

Aug 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    If you don't want to listen to the experts that know their stuff then take your dog to a vet with the pups. I am sure the vet will say the same thing that has been said here.
    BTW YOU are the one that said this won't be her last litter. Do you realize how many dogs daily are put to sleep in a sheltar? Do you realize a lot of the dogs in the sheltars are papered dogs? I am sick and tired of hearing daily of dogs especially pits having more and more litters. Those poor dogs are the ones most likely to be abused and used for fighting.

To save your pups you SHOULD have had vet care during the pregnancy so the vet could have told you what to expect and what you needed on hand.
    You SHOULD have taken the pups and mom to the vet when they were first born for a check up and then asked any questions to the expert that could see the dogs.
    You SHOULD have called your vet at the first sign of concern instead of taking the dogs from the mom(yes her seeing them is not enough).
    And again to you I have a beautifully healthy pitbull I'm sick of you people thinking because it's pitbull the she is not alow to have people if you have been reading only one person his said what they think I should do to care for them I took my dog to the vet when she got pregnant and I just took them to the vet yesterday so please don't come at me because I have a pitbull if dogs don't get pregnant how do the vets make money how do anyone have a pet I have a pitbull that I love as well as her puppies if I was concern about just breeding her I can ask people in the around town not on here and again to all the know it alls you ask breeders do they wait 3 years before they let there dog breed no a dog goes in her first heat when there 6 to 8 months
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
    And again to u I have a beautifully healthy pitbull I'm sick of u ppl thinkin because it's pitbull the she is not alow to have ppl if u have been reading only one person his said wat they think I should do to care for them I took my dog to the vet when she got pregnant and I just took them to the vet yesterday so pls don't come at me because I have a pitbull if dogs don't get pregnant how do the vets make money how do anyone have a pet I have a pitbull that I love as well as her puppies if I was concern about just breeding her I can ask ppl in the around town not on here and again to all the know it alls u ask breeders do they wait 3 years before they let there dog breed no a dog goes in her first heat when there 6 to 8 months
    No one ever chastised you for having a pitbull. That is in your imagination. Most of us on this site have had, or been exposed to, that breed along our lives.

What we are upset about is your backyard breeding and your non-existent knowledge of raising puppies. We would have come down on you hard if this were the same situation and you were being a backyard breeder of a beagle.

Aug 28, 2012, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Why don't we revisit who is on drugs here? Judy is a very respected member of this site and would never attempt anything of the sort that you have.

Have your puppies and the mother been to the vet yet? PetSmart isn't a veterinarian. I didn't think so.

You took 3 (or so) day old puppies away from their mother thinking that you could do a better job, but found out how hard it is. You hand fed them 4 times a day. That's once every 8 hours and would be starving them to death. You wonder why they pups are "fading away."

What is happening here would be considered animal abuse/neglect should your SPCA become involved.
    Listen you are rite petsmart is just a store that do have experts on hand I took my dog to the vet they also told me if you are going to bottle feed its very important that you let the mother feed them for the first two days of birth I ask what can I do to save my pups the answer is not you have a pitbull you are breeding her and this and that the answer should have been if she is an expert are anyone that has a comment is how are you feeding them are they warm enough are they eating well dehydrate OK try this take it bck to the mother then call the vet so if an expert and can't help and only tell you shouldn't have but not what to do maybe there just saying there experts cause I took them to the vet they didn't tell me what not to do they told me what to do to get them better
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 07:58 AM
    You've already been warned. Please type in full and complete words and sentences. This site does not allow text abbreviations.
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:00 AM
    Listen u r rite petsmart is just a store that do have experts on hand I took my dog to the vet they also told me if u r goin to bottle feed its very important that you let the mother feed them for the first two days of birth I ask wat can I do to save my pups the answer is not u have a pitbull u r breeding her and this and that the answer should have been if she is an expert r anyone that has a comment is how r u feedin them r they warm enough r they eating well dehydrate ok try this take it bck to the mother then call the vet so if an expert and can't help and only tell u shouldn't have but not wat to do maybe there just saying there experts cause i took them to the vet they didn't tell me wat not to do they told me wat to do to get them better
    Look, no one here cares if it's a pitbull, a schnauzer, a poodle, or a labrador. The problem is that these puppies have been abused and/or neglected in your care.

Aug 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
    No one ever chastised you for having a pitbull. That is in your imagination. Most of us on this site have had, or been exposed to, that breed along our lives.

What we are upset about is your backyard breeding and your non-existent knowledge of raising puppies. We would have come down on you hard if this were the same situation and you were being a backyard breeder of a beagle.
    Maybe I'm dumb but coming down on someone that has no knowledge is not right but to tell them what to do to make them feel better and help there situation is so much better then trying to firgure out rather someone is breeding there dogs let the police take care of that if you know how to help me take me step to step so I can do it and pass this site in to other people that may have a dog that's sick are something
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:02 AM
    Pet stores usually do not have animal/pet experts on staff. Many are just high school graduates earning a paycheck. The pups should not have been taken away from the mother, and I'm glad she has accepted them back again. I hope they survive.
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Maybe I'm dumb but coming down on someone that has no knowledge is not right but to tell them wat to do to make them feel better and help there situation is so much better then trying to firgure out rather someone is breeding there dogs let the police take care of that if u knw how to help me take me step to step so I can do it and pass this site in to other ppl that may have a dog that's sick r something
    what = what

u = you

know = know

If you cannot follow site rules, your thread will be closed.

Other than that. I have no earthly idea what you just said.

Aug 28, 2012, 08:08 AM
    Look, no one here cares if it's a pitbull, a schnauzer, a poodle, or a labrador. The problem is that these puppies have been abused and/or neglected in your care.
    Really abused and neglect I don't think so abuse is not feeding hitting not caring for them neglect is left alone with no one to care for them she had 6 puppies and 2 pass which is very normal do I ask what can I do and you say without knwing what I have done for them abuse and neglect
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2012, 08:09 AM
    I wanted my dog to have puppies so that I can have one like her well same bloodline my dog is 3 years old this is not a breeding situation something that's goin to keep happening and I didn't knw it was a sin to let her have puppies

Has anyone explained to you that her pups won't have the same bloodline because they won't have the same father that she has?

Your attitude says it all.

So having puppies is something that is just going to happen, something out of your control?

I did answer your question - take the mother and the pups to a Vet. I appreciate you want some magical formula to save you the time and money, but there is no "pat" answer.
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
    They WERE abused and neglected when you took them away from their mother and ONLY fed them 4 times a day when they should be fed every 2 hours.

Aug 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Pet stores usually do not have animal/pet experts on staff. Many are just high school graduates earning a paycheck. The pups should not have been taken away from the mother, and I'm glad she has accepted them back again. I hope they survive.
    And thank u I hope so cause I took them to a vet and ask a manger in petsmart I do know the mangers have to have some background with animals
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2012, 08:12 AM
    Maybe I'm dumb but coming down on someone that has no knowledge is not right but to tell them wat to do to make them feel better and help there situation is so much better then trying to firgure out rather someone is breeding there dogs let the police take care of that if u knw how to help me take me step to step so I can do it and pass this site in to other ppl that may have a dog that's sick r something

Well, for someone who claims she is not breeding you just said you ARE breeding your dog. "... someone is breeding there [their] dogs let the police take care of that... "

What?

No one here is making you sound dumb. You are doing it to yourself: "Listen you are rite petsmart is just a store that do have experts on hand"

Petsmart does NOT have experts on hand. Petsmart hires anyone who can walk and chew gum at the same time. Their groomers are taught ON SITE - no advance education.

Would you post your source of information for this: "And thank you I hope so cause I took them to a vet and ask a manger in petsmart I do know the mangers have to have some background with animals... " Yes, their background usually is in retail. They sell. That's why they are in business. Selling is #1 priority.

My local Petsmart manager is a former Dollar General Manager. Go figure.

No one here said a word about not breeding "Pits," anything the least bit critical about the breed. Where do you get this? "And again to you I have a beautifully healthy pitbull I'm sick of you people thinking because it's pitbull the she is not alow to have people if... " In fact, I don't even know what that means.

And, yes, it is abuse to starve any animal to death, which is what you were doing.

You have big problems with attitude - you ask if I'm on drugs? When all else fails you resort to insults (that's the best insult you could come up with?). I don't think you are texting. I think you probably write exactly like you talk, and you're an adult?

As far as this goes: "u still can't give me an answer you are just as clueless please don't respond to notthin" don't even attempt to direct who will and who won't answer you.

I'm not the clueless, rude, arrogant, defensive (and I think delusional, based on what you believe is critical of the breed) person.

I have to ask - are you in the US?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:13 AM
    Really abused and neglect I don't think so abuse is not feeding hitting not caring for them neglect is left alone with no one to care for them she had 6 puppies and 2 pass which is very normal do I ask wat can I do and u say without knwing wat I have done for them abuse and neglect
    1. You took them away from their mother.
    2. You deprived the mother of her babies.
    3. You weren't feeding them often enough (should have been every two hours or even more often).
    4. You were feeding them store-bought puppy milk and not letting them nurse.
    5. You asked a clueless pet store staff for help.
    6. You weren't helping them urinate and defecate.
    7. They weren't warm enough.

That's not abuse and neglect?
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    1. You took them away from their mother.
    2. You deprived the mother of her babies.
    3. You weren't feeding them often enough (should have been every two hours or even more often).
    4. You were feeding them store-bought puppy milk and not letting them nurse.
    5. You asked a clueless pet store staff for help.
    6. You weren't helping them urinate and defecate.
    7. They weren't warm enough.

That's not abuse and neglect?
    Bravo! Standing ovation! Here's your toaster!

Aug 28, 2012, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Has anyone explained to you that her pups won't have the same bloodline because they won't have the same father that she has?

Your attitude says it all.

So having puppies is something that is just going to happen, something out of your control?

I did answer your question - take the mother and the pups to a Vet. I appreciate you want some magical formula to save you the time and money, but there is no "pat" answer.
    No my attuide says don't come at me like I did anything to harm them you have to make a mistake in order to learn the next time and my puppies do have the mother and father bloodline bluenose razor edge are maybe the vet don't know what they are talking about
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:19 AM
    No my attuide says don't come at me like I did anything to harm them
    But you DID do harm to them. Don't you understand that?

u have to make a mistake in order to learn the next time
    Heaven forbid you ever have children and treat them in the same manner you treated these puppies!

So, it's okay to make a mistake and kill puppies so that you learn from the experience and don't do it again? That's along the same lines as killing your baby so that you learn from the experience.

Puppies... humans... They are all living breathing beings.

You really should surrender this dog and her puppies to someone who is educated enough to take care of them.

Aug 28, 2012, 08:20 AM
    They WERE abused and neglected when you took them away from their mother and ONLY fed them 4 times a day when they should be fed every 2 hours.
    My pups is 10 days old sweetheart mr expert you know when there first born they have to eat every two to 3 hours now as they begin to grow that changes there 8 pounds why would they be still eating every 2 hours they have to sleep to grow so now they can eat every 4 to 6 hours mayb the vet is wrong and you are right
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2012, 08:21 AM
    No my attuide says don't come at me like I did anything to harm them u have to make a mistake in order to learn the next time and my puppies do have the mother and father bloodline bluenose razor edge r maybe the vet don't knw wat they r talking bout

Please - speak English, if you can. Yes, maybe the Vet doesn't know what he's talking about if you think the puppies will have the same bloodline as the mother.

At any rate, for your education - http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breeding.htm:

" I am not even going to start hounding you about the millions of animals euthanized each year in shelters or that die on the streets. No one ever thinks this could happen to a litter they breed. I am going to tell you what makes a responsible breeder and the major effort that goes into ensuring the best, healthiest critters possible. Breeding is not just putting two cute dogs together and sixty-three days later you have cuddly pups. Responsible breeding requires work. It is not to be jumped into headfirst.

What a responsible breeder does:

Knows the breed standard. Each dog has a standard accepted by a kennel club that states what the ideal specimen of that breed should look like. It covers fur to teeth, color to structure. A dog not fitting the standard will not be considered for breeding. Also, they get out and show the dogs. Just because you think the dog may fit the standard does not mean it is a good breed representative. Only by having the dog evaluated many times can you truly get a feeling your dog is breeding material—this goes for males and females (what a dog show does as well as other competitions such as Schutzhund—I highly regard a dog who has achieved a SchIII—field trials, lure coursing, etc.). Even if a dog is top notch physically and meets the standard well, if it has temperament issues (shy, aggressive), it will not be bred. Many breeders also want to prove their dogs have brains to match the beauty. There are various sports that test a dog's working ability. A dog should have both form and function.

Knows the pedigrees. Just because two dogs are great specimens does not mean they are compatible. Not all hereditary problems are a simple dominant/recessive gene thing. Some require a combination of multiple gene sequences before being expressed. So, two dogs could have parts of these sequences and if bred, the problem could be expressed though there is no sign in either dog's background of the problem. Two great dogs also may not produce great puppies. A responsible breeder will research pedigrees and talk to other breeders to find the best possible matches. This can be a big undertaking. And just because a dog is winning all over the country does not mean he is the best. It may just mean he (or she) is being shown loads; chances are by a well-known handler, and everyone wants to breed to him (or get a pup from her). This dog may not be the best—just the most popular at the time. Do not be blinded by wins.

You also must know color inheritances. Some colors, like merles (blue or sable/red) should not be bred together. The merle gene, if doubled, can cause problems. Merle to merle breeding can be very bad.

Knows the dog. A responsible breeder will test dogs for things like hips, thyroid, eye problems (eye should be tested yearly on breeding stock) and whatever problems are common to your specific breed. If something is suspected, the dog is not bred. They also require testing for the dog they intend to breed with. There are also diseases such as brucellosis that can cause fetal abortion (miscarriage) in pregnant females—it is sexually transmitted—your dog must be clear of. Brucellosis does not always have outward symptoms, your dog could carry it and you'd never know. Your dog also must be current on all inoculations.

Accepts the risks. Breeding is not all happy. If you own a female, you must be willing to wait until she is physically mature to breed (about two years old). To breed too soon is like a teenage human having a child. They are not physically or emotionally ready. To breed too old is like a woman having her first child later in life. Males also must be at least two. You cannot get hips certified until they are two years old at least. Dogs of both genders must be fully mature and in top shape before breeding.

You must be willing to be in close contact with your vet from the moment of mating. There is so much that can happen and that you should know about. There are nutrition concerns—pregnancy and nursing are taxing on the female body. There are risk factors—some breeds are prone to birth complications and almost always require medical intervention. I remember hearing an English Bulldog breeder state 99.9% of all English Bulldogs litters are born by C-section due to the physiology of the breed. Even in a breed not prone to birth complications, they can arise and be costly! Many breeders will have their vet x-ray (radiograph) a pregnant female to get an idea of how many pups, their placement, etc. A big pup could get stuck in the birth canal. A retained pup (not born for some reason) can die and cause massive infection as it decays. A female may die during delivery. Are you willing to hand-rear a litter of pups? This is NOT easy and very tiring. What if your female has poor mothering instincts? Will you take over? Are you willing to accept that you could lose your dog and her puppies? What if one is born deformed or has a problem that shows up weeks down the road—then what? Are you willing to have you children see the miracle of death? I have only scratched the tip of the iceberg… "

I would also suspect that the people who buy "your" puppies are every bit as well educated in dog care as you are. It's called "Pits as Trophies," and it hurts the breed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why do dogs have so many pups? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my ten year old asked the question... why do dogs have so many puppies. Of course she stumped us, so I am taking it upon myself to ask a professional. Thanks, Ms. Deme...

No pups [ 2 Answers ]

I have another question. I bred my Yorkie (2 years old) mid May. She should've been About 71/2 weeks now. The vet could not feel any pups. She had not been eating for awhile and had to be coaxed and treated. Tonight she ate regular kibble, and ate more Than ever. She started having very...

What do I feed my pups? [ 1 Answers ]

My chihuahua delivered her puppies very greatly although 1 died we still have two very healthy chihuahua pups. They are 3 weeks old about to be 4 on Tuesday. I visited this site saying I should give them mushy food for one meal a day. Does anyone know what type of mushy food to give them? Help...

Parvo And Well Pups [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 Cairn Terriers had litters of pups 2 days apart. At 6 weeks, (1st shots not given yet), out of 14 pups, 8 died from parvo. I had originally quarantined the sick ones, but as the days went by, more got sick very quickly. Two that had the virus have survived and seem to be thriving. The...

What ARE these pups? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We've recently taken in two puppies that were dropped off on a friend's doorstep. I am wondering if anyone could tell me what the mix might be. These pictures are both of the girl (they look very similar.) I've had pit bull suggested, but we're really not sure. Is there any way to tell...

View more questions Search