Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Keh22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2013, 08:05 PM
    Cat acting weird all of a sudden.
    My cat is about 3 years old and all of a sudden she started acting weird. I came home and she acted scared. My kitty is very affectionate and loves to be with me. She always comes running when I walk in the door but today she didn't. She sat at the bottom of the stairs and just stared at the top for hours straight. Our house doesn't have any paranormal activity in it so that can't be an option. This is the very first time that she has been doing this. She runs low to the ground and with her tail in between her legs and she growls anytime I come near her. She got into our basement the other day so I don't know if that has anything to do with it but that was quite a while ago. This is very worrying to me because she is such a lovey cat and never likes to leave my side.

~ Thanks
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 18, 2013, 04:21 AM
    Did you or someone mistreat her? Another possibility is you may have a scent on you that disturbs her. Are there any chemicals she might have ingested in the basement? She could also exhibit the behavior you describe, submissive/threatened/scared, if she is injured or ill and feeling vulnerable. I had a cat once that liked to go out and fight the neighborhood cats. He was always grumpy and anti-social for a couple days after getting into a scrap. Let her be for awhile if she is still eating normally and otherwise active and see if her mood improves.
    pwooden Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Nov 18, 2013, 07:07 AM
    Something scared her, and looking up the steps is a clue. Could something have made a sudden, loud noise that frightened her? Check upstairs to see if anything fell over. Are your neighbors having work done on their roof or upper floors that may have caused sudden, loud noises? Could she have seen something scary like a rat? For now just leave her alone until she gets over the scare. She'll come to you when she's back to normal.
    Keh22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    Did you or someone mistreat her? Another possibility is you may have a scent on you that disturbs her. Are there any chemicals she might have ingested in the basement? She could also exhibit the behavior you describe, submissive/threatened/scared, if she is injured or ill and feeling vulnerable. I had a cat once that liked to go out and fight the neighborhood cats. He was always grumpy and anti-social for a couple days after getting into a scrap. Let her be for awhile if she is still eating normally and otherwise active and see if her mood improves.
    Nobody in my family mistreats her. She's like our family member and would never try to hurt her on purpose. And we don't let our cats go outside at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my cat acting so scared all of a sudden? [ 8 Answers ]

My cat is Leonard, he's about 2 years old. He is fixed, but has been fixed for over 6 months. Leonard is usually very playful and affectionate. He's actually a little crazy too.(in a good way) He usually sits in the window and stares out at the world or tries to play with bugs that fly by. Last...

Cat acting weird [ 2 Answers ]

Help, my cat has recently started acting different. It started the other night. One minute she was fine, and then all of the sudden she kinda "freaked out" and started running around crazy and now she is hiding under covers. She acts like she has fleas or something, but the vet said she does not....

Our cat is acting weird? [ 2 Answers ]

Our cat was playing and acting totally normal and then started hissing and won't move. She just sits in places she never sits at/in and when scared usually runs away and hides but now she is just refusing to move. Please help!

My Cat is acting weird [ 1 Answers ]

For the past month my cat has started acting strangely and its progressivly getting worse. Initially when I have witnessed it the cat gets a tick(movement)over its rear haunches ant then the tip is its tail starts twitching. All of a sudden the cat will spin roung and grab its tail biting and...

My cat is acting weird and biting all of a sudden' [ 3 Answers ]

It seems as thoght the last couple of weeks our cat has become withdrawn and strated biting me more often; even when we are not playing. I do not know what to do and why he is acting this way. Any ideas?

View more questions Search